PGC60459

Galaxy

Constellation Ophiuchus

RA 17 32 24.6
DEC +07 03 38

Mag 10.4

Class SAB(r)bc

Size 7.0’x4.0’

This weeks OOTW must be observed shortly after astronomical twilight in the evening as it sets fairly early this time of year. It will be low and it will be a challenge. But considering this beautiful galaxy has never been selected as an OOTW, I didn’t want to wait until next year to post about it!
Situated near the celestial equator permitting views from both hemispheres, NGC6384 is an intermediate barred spiral located in northern Ophiuchus.

Visually, NGC6384 isn’t overwhelmingly bright. But there are observations in scopes as small as 6” in aperture. So please don’t be intimidated. The view is always worth it as NGC6346 does sit amid a beautiful, starry field.

Observers with larger scopes can start to make out some real detail. In my 25”, the elongated glow begins to reveal some uneven brightness and mottling with a bright galactic core. The galaxy lies on a NE-SW position with a vague halo extending towards its NE. Some reports online even claim to have seen a bar – something my notes do not reflect.

Give this galaxy a chance in the coming nights. Although you will have to catch it early, I feel it’s worth a try. Especially if you’re looking for a nice, early evening challenge before it impossible! If nothing else, please share some past observation reports!

As always,

Give it a go and let us know!!

NGC 6384.jpg

1920px-NGC_6384_HST.jpg