NGC 680 (and friends)

UGC 1286

Galaxy

Aries

R.A. 01h49m47.3s

Dec. +21°58'15" (2000)

Magnitude: 12.90 B

Size: 1.7' x 1.5'

For this OOTW I have chosen the nice galaxy pair NGC 678 and NGC 680 in Aries. I apologise
    that this piece may not be up to the usual standards but I am recovering from Covid. Perhaps
    not unsurprisingly for such a bright pair they were both discovered by William Herschel in 1784.
    There is a third, very much fainter, galaxy in the field designated as IC 1730 which was discovered
    by Javelle using a 30” refractor in 1896. I am slightly surprised that the pair did not make either the Arp
    or VV lists as they are obviously interacting. NGC 680 is classified as an E2 with a disturbed envelope
    and this is easily seen on the SDSS images which shows signs of shells. NGC 678 is an edge on
    showing a strong dust lane and a prominent nucleus. The edge of the spiral arms appears to be
    distorted. The pair is perhaps better known as being part of the NGC 691 group which consists of
    9 galaxies being NGC 678, 680, 691, 694, 695 and NGC 695 along with IC 1730 and IC 167.
    The group is also known as WBL 52. The group is spread over quite a wide area of sky with almost
    a degree spanning NGC 691 and 695. The core of the group is centred around NGC 691, 678, 680
    and NGC 694. NGC 678 and 680 were discovered in William Herschel in 1784 but it was two years
    later in 1786 before he found 691. Heinrich d’Arrest found NGC 694 in 1861 as it is much fainter
    than the others. Perhaps unusually for an IC object Bigourdan found IC 167 using a 12” refractor
    in 1889. The whole group is spread around the bright double star 1 Ari. This may make it more
    difficult to see than it should be. The group is about 122 million light years from us which is relatively close
    by and explains the large angular spread of the group on the sky. NGC691 was home to SN 2005W,
    although it only reached magnitude 15.2. Both NGC 691 and NGC 678 feature in the WSDSOH Vol 4
    where both are described as brightish in a 16” telescope. NSOG reports the two brighter members as
    easy in 22cm and the others as more challenging. Interestingly most of the galaxies in the group are
    spirals or lenticulars with only NGC 680 as a confirmed elliptical, NGC 680 has also been classified as
    a cD pec which would make it the main galaxy in the group. NGC 680 also appears to be interacting
    with NGC 678 as well, although there is some debate as the RC suggests it may be interacting with
    IC 1730. There is an interesting amateur image of the whole group at http://www.alsonwongastro.com/ngc691.htm.
    Split away from the main group on the other side of 1 Ari are NGC 697 and 695. NGC 697 is a nice bright
    spiral but NGC 695 is much fainter and although catalogued as a double galaxy its faintness suggests it
    might not actually be a member of the group. Its recession velocity from NED, if correct, is 3 times
    greater than the others in the group. It certainly appears in front of a field of much fainter galaxies.
    There also appears to be some confusion over the identity of NGC 697 with Harold Corwin suggesting
    it is actually NGC 674 and d’Arrest was confused and saw the same object twice.

ngc680_OOTW.jpg
    22" Obsession UC
    15" Obsession UC
    Takahashi Mewlon 210
    TMB 130 LW

Why wouldn't this object choice be "not be up to the usual standards "? Great choice and on my TODO list. Get well soon, Owen!

NGC-678 = With an 18", 97,332x Nice combination. A little longer than wide. More diffuse than NGC-680."
    NGC-680 = In the same field as NGC-678. Smaller and rounder and definitely a brighter core with a glowing halo around it.
    NGC-695 = Smaller and rounder with a fairly condensed center. Doesn't seem to be much else to it besides the center.
    NGC-697 = Nice elongated galaxy with almost all even brightness. The center is bulging. With averted vision, can see fainter extensions.
    IC-167 with a 22", 337x = This was larger and actually easier to see. Both it and NGC-694 were in the same field.
    Last edited by lamperti; November 14th, 2021 at 03:58 PM.
    15" f4.5 Obsession Classic
    4" f8.6 Televue 102

My observations for this region, in 2018, using my 14" SCT @ 168x / 29'.

NGC678 - 5/10
    Sharing the FoV with NGC680 1/5 FoV to the ESE, NGC678 is the WNW galaxy: Without AV only the brighter core of the galaxy is visible, slightly elongated ENE to WSW and quite bulging, gradually much brighter in the middle. With AV the core is slightly more elongated and a hint of the outer, fainter parts is visible, especially towards the ENE. The nucleus is visible with AV.

NGC680 - 5/10
    Sharing the FoV with the galaxy NGC678 1/5 FoV to the WNW, NGC680 is the ESE galaxy: A slightly north-south elongated glow, quite suddenly brighter in a small core that is slightly elongated in the same direction. The outer halo is the galaxy is quite large compared to the core. The nucleus is visible and appears to be just NW of the middle.
    To the ESE are a mag. 12 (SW) and a mag. 13 (NE) star aligned SW to NE, close. (= double star Skiff 2621).

I failed to pick up IC1730... it should have been within my reach.

WBL 52-1.jpg WBL 52-2.jpg WBL 52-3.jpg

Click here to download the observing guide.

In the vicinity:

NGC691- 5/10
    Without AV quite a large, faint, round glow, gradually subtly brighter in the middle. With AV slightly elongated ENE to WSW and quite suddenly brighter in a small core that is slightly elongated in the same direction. Directly NE are two mag. 11.5 stars aligned NE to SW (= double star Nugent 1).
    1/2 FoV to the NE is the galaxy IC167.

IC167 (Arp 31) - 1/10
    Sharing the FoV with the galaxy NGC691 to the SW: Extremely faint, only visible with AV, a small, round glow, even in brightness, no detail visible. The faint outers arms are not visible.
    1/4 FoV to the NW is the galaxy NGC694.

NGC694 - 4/10
    Sharing the FoV with the galaxy IC167, 1/4 FoV to the SE: A NNW-SSE (almost north-south) elongated glow, gradually brighter in the middle. With AV the galaxy is more bulging on the WSW side, flattened on the east side on a line from NNE to SSW.

NGC697 - 6/10
    Without AV a WNW-ESE elongated, oval glow, gradually subtly brighter in the middle. With AV clearly very elongated and brighter in a core that is elongated in the same direction. WNW of the brightest part an outer halo is visible that tapers towards the WNW. The galaxy is slightly flattened on the north side on a line from WNW to ESE and it is slightly wider on the southern side. The brighter core is clearly ESE of the middle. With AV the galaxy has subtly irregular structure. No nucleus visible.
    1/2 FoV to the north is NGC695.

NGC695 - 3/10
    Without AV round and even in brightness. With AV it is a small, faint, slightly north-south elongated glow, gradually slightly brighter in the middle. With AV the nucleus sometimes seems to jump into view but can not be held.
    To the west is a mag. 12 star, twice that distance towards the SSW is a mag. 14 star.
    1/2 FoV to the south is NGC697.
    Last edited by Clear Skies; November 17th, 2021 at 03:50 PM.
    Victor van Wulfen

clearskies.eu - Clear Skies Observing Guides - CSOG - Blog - Observing Log - Observing Sessions

SQM is nothing, transparency is everything.

I note this entire group (well, the NGC members) was visible in my old 8", so a really large aperture is not really needed to see them.
    Larger aperture does show them as larger and more detailed, of course.
    Is there a better group in Aries? My log has 88 objects in that constellation, but this is the group I keep coming back to.
    Good choice!
    Don Pensack
    www.EyepiecesEtc.com
    Los Angeles

This is the best group in Aries. But here's another one -- LGG 061, which contains NGC 924, 932, 935, 938 and 976, IC 1802 (double with NGC 935) and a few other faint ones.

All the NGCs are V = 13.0 or brighter, so don't require a large scope.
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel

Quote Originally Posted by Don Pensack View Post
    I note this entire group (well, the NGC members) was visible in my old 8", so a really large aperture is not really needed to see them.
    Larger aperture does show them as larger and more detailed, of course.
    Is there a better group in Aries? My log has 88 objects in that constellation, but this is the group I keep coming back to.
    Good choice!
    Ken Hewitt-White wrote a nice article about this area in S & T a number of years ago ("Checking Off the Galaxies at 1 Arietis"). The group, shaped like a checkmark, wraps around the fine double star 1 Arietis.

I've lost count of the number of times I've observed this group--probably four or five times each fall.

Nice choice and a good write-up as always Owen. But first, get well soon.

I found two graphic results an a lot more pure observing notes.

First the group of NGC 678, NGC 680, IC 1730 itself under very good transparency but soft to poor seeing:
    sketch: 27", 293x, NELM 7m0+, Seeing III-IV
    NGC678_NGC680.jpg
    home

To illustrate the spiral structure of IC 167 I observed under similar but somewhat better seeing.

sketch: 27", 419x, NELM 7m0+, Seeing III-IV
    NGC694_IC167.jpg
    home
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2