Object of the week June 10 2012 ESO 514-12

ESO 514-12

Planetary Nebula

Lybra

J2000
    RA 1522 14
    DEC -23 37 33

MAG 11.5(P)

This little blue green dot is aways pleasing to me I keep come back to it year after year. I know of very observations of this little planetary, it's blue green color really jumps out at you in the eyepiece!
    ESO 514-12.JPG

Also 15.7' to the west is the 12.8 mag face on spiral IC 4538 which is really nice on its on!
    eso 514-12 and IC 4538.JPG

The next time you are under clear dark skies try these two and

"GIVE IT A GO AND LET US KNOW"

GOOD LUCK AND GREAT VIEWING!
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

I can't remember why -- probably because it's listed in Burnham's -- but this was one of the first planetaries outside the NGC/IC that I found in the late '70's. This was with a C-8 on my front lawn in the San Francisco bay area with a naked-eye limit around 4. Took about 200x to clearly see the small disc, but I was impressed. Any sign of the CS at high power, Jimi?

By the way, this planetary was discovered by Paul Merrill in 1942, so also goes by the designation Me 2-1.
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel

Hi all,

I am looking through my observing notes and I found an observation I did of this objects in August 2005 with my 6" telescope. It's translated from Dutch:

At 105x I see for stars with two more in between them. The western one is brighter than the eastern one. When I use an OIII filter, the eastern one is the more brighter. So that must be the planetary nebula. Unfortunately the seeing isn't very good so I cannot increase the magnification to see a disk.

Clear skies,

Wouter