UGC 2411

Cassiopeia
02 58 47
+75 44 47
Type Sdm
Mag 16.2

—————————
UGC 2411 is a ghostly edge on galaxy that lies it the rich star fields of Cassiopeia. It is not for the faint of heart. This is one of the toughest edge on galaxies I have ever observed. It also is one of the most translucent galaxies I have ever seen. It has the appearance that you can see right through it. It is approximately 110 million light years away.
SDSS
948BD9D6-A48D-4823-B90F-18CB990EC20F.jpeg

Last dark period Steve Gottlieb and I tracked this ghostly streak down on two different nights. On the first night UGC 2411 really kicked my butt. I had a really hard time trying to find the right star field the super LSB galaxy and rich star field made it tough. I finally after a while found the field and could detect the faint glow of the galaxy with AV the glow was much longer. I was surprised that it appeared that I could see right through the thin galaxy. I did not notice a brighter core it looked the same up and down the galaxy like a clear steak. A cold wind was blowing down the tube of the big scope this night and 375X was all the power we cold use.

The late imager Rick Johnson suggested that from his image of UCC 2411 that he could see lots of IFN in his image and that might be a reason for UGC 2411 to be so low surface brightness. But that is just a guess.

Rick Johnson Image
9B74C451-1392-4965-A560-C67A6F38D2FD.jpeg

If you are up for a real challenge try the ghostly UGC 2411 as always

GIVE IT A GO!