Thread: West Texas around the new moon?

West Texas around the new moon?

Let's suppose one had some time around the new moon in July to drive out to West Texas to do some imaging and observing. Where would one go? Stay? Would be happy to hear ideas or leads. Please feel free to reply directly to me rather than the list if you'd rather, though I'd imaging observing sites in West Texas would be of general interest.

Val

You can give McDonald Observatory a call and see if you can set up at the parking lot there. I asked last year while at the TSP and was told it was okay as long as I didn't stay all night.

Another site that might be good is that viewing center outside Marfa for watching the Marfa lights. Maybe Jimi or others can respond and comment if that would work. I only stopped at the site during the days, but I thought it was lighted with red lights and not white lights.

There is also the state park near Ft Davis that folks stay at during the Texas Star Party, but I have never been to it.

There is also a old display that is now abandoned near McDonald Observatory to the east of the domes toward Ft Davis that might work too.

There are several picnic pull offs all along the areas near Alpine, Marfa and Ft Davis. I recall a good one South of Alpine that had displays about the mountains in the area.

I have only been out that way twice for the Texas Star Party, but I have thought about making a trip out that way during non star party times. Just remember most if not all the land out there is private and NOT public, so don't just set up in a nice flat area along the road.

Thanks, Preston. I think the idea would be to stay all night. Time under a west Texas sky during new moon is precious enough to ensure that sleep will be forgotten. Also, I'm trying to avoid a spot where cars will be driving by.

I looked up the Fort Davis state park on the web, and they have both accomodations and a road, but it's difficult to tell whether lights will be off at night. There is the lodge and and campsites, and Fort Davis itself over the mountain, and so on. Anyone know?

Val

Well I do remember reading an article several years ago by Tom Clark about observing at the state park during the week of the Texas Star Party. He stated it was pretty dark and there was less dust. You could try emailing the folks at the Texas Star Party website and see if they can point you in any directions.

And have a look at this: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/davis-mountains

The park is basically "across the street" from Prude. I have never tried to observe from the park, but Miss Dorothy and I always visit when we are at TSP and I can say it's a big, lovely place.

Not to deviate from west Texas... but has anyone been to the Comanche Springs Astronomy Campus, midway between Lubbock and Wichita Falls. It would appear to have pretty dark skies and seems to cater to amateur astronomers (sounds like possibly even providing overnight camping in exchange for some outreach time). In fact, I don't believe you even need to show up with a telescope, with all sorts of high end equipment available to use. Forgive me if I'm sharing this here and am the only one who isn't intimately familiar with this place! )

http://www.3rf.org/sciences-2/comanc...ings/astronomy

I ended up going to the 3RF site for a couple of nights. Between two weekends around the new moon each month, 3RF has open campus week and the place is open and welcoming to observers. There were several of us set up on the field. Bunkhouses are for rent. I tent-camped for free. There are showers and bathrooms available, and a sort of gathering room with A/C. The sky was great the first night, and seeing excellent. The Milky Way was bright down to just above the horizon. The place is open outside of open campus week, too, by other arrangement. The folks at 3RF were very helpful and accommodating. If you are interested in heading that direction, you should definitely give them a call.

Val

Thanks for the nice words, Val. Sorry I am only just now seeing this.

I am the Director of Astronomy at Comanche Springs Astronomy Campus and would be happy to answer any questions members of the forum may have about it. We have come a loooooooong way since we broke ground in 2005, including some recent upgrades to our 15" refractor and a new restroom/shower building. We also opened several new bunkhouses this summer, making overnight stays much more comfortable year-round.

As we say out here, "Y'all come!"

Clear skies, everyone ... Jeff B.

Hey, have you checked out the Marathon Motel in Marathon, powered concrete pads and all! Let me know if you have any questions! www.marathonmotel.com

Try talking to the folks at Prude Ranch. They are the host of TSP and a guest ranch, so they may be interested in helping you find a spot on the ranch free of any local (as in the ranch itself) light pollution where you can set up. Depending on their guest load, they may be able to accommodate you with lodging as well.
    http://www.prude-ranch.com/MP.cfm?P=3962

There is also the Hidden Cabin at the Sproul Ranch which is right next to Prude Ranch. An astronomy buddy of mine and his wife stayed there and said the skies were great as was the overall experience.
    http://rmsproulranch.com/accommodation.html