Thread: NGC 5907 + tidal streams + IFN

NGC 5907 + tidal streams + IFN

Last night was beautifully transparent, dry, though a little windy and cold.

NGC 5907, the so-called Splinter Galaxy, was so bright that I winced.

I saw a bright wall of IFN to the side of the field. There was an IFN finger almost reaching the galaxy.

And I saw the two tidal streams. I'm confident that I saw them because I saw and drew the stream arcing away from the galaxy as just inside a bright star. Looking later, I saw digital images that confirmed the location. If I hadn't known about the tidal streams, I would have concluded that they were IFN, as the field was littered with very faint IFN.

I used my 30 inch f2.7 with 17mm Nikon 100 deg eyepiece. That is becoming my goto combination for max exit pupil with max magnification to show greatest detail.

M57 was nice - two stars inside plus a glimpse of the star in the ring's nebulosity. I saw that red rimmed green-blue color again, though it seems that it fades as I continue starring. If I look away then look again, the colors appear. The extended ring was also visible.

NGC5907 plus tidal stream plus IFN.jpg

NGC5907 plus tidal stream plus IFN annotated.jpg

Mel Bartels

Several years ago I glimpsed the tidal tail in 5907 I was observing with Dave Tosteson on my 48”. We saw a small patch near the stars your arrow points at in your bottom drawing. This was at least 5 years ago maybe 6. It was right after The image of the tail was on APOD. Good catch!!!
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

Very impressive Mel. I thought once that it could be manageable when seeing some deep photographs but you shows it works. I never tried it but will report soon.
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2