Thread: 11/23, short report

11/23, short report

With only a few Hicksons and Abell PNs remaining, I had bought more Faint Fuzzies guides - FGC and VV I. Under excellent conditions and going for most of the 11 hours of astronomical dark we had, I was able to check off a few from each list. Some of the sketches follow.

FGC2360_20221126_0001.jpg VV305_20221126_0003.jpg Hickson30_20221126_0005.jpg Abell22_20221126_0007.jpg
    Ivan
    20" Sky-Watcher
    deepskyblog.net

Ivan, are you saying that you only have a few Abell planetary nebulae remaining to be seen/tried in a 20-inch telescope?! I'd be terribly curious to read your reports or see a list of Abell PN where you checked off which ones you saw with or without a filter and those that you didn't see. I'm working on a project of trying to see as many as possible and your information would be helpful to me to know which ones I'd have my best shot at seeing in my 16-inch.

Scott H.

Scott, I have 4 Abell PNs left to be tried. As to the list - stay tuned.
    Ivan
    20" Sky-Watcher
    deepskyblog.net

Nice work, Ivan.

I've tried a couple of times to catch that Shakhbazian-like string of PGC galaxies you noted in a previous thread, and have been stymied by the clouds of forest-fire smoke that have continued to plague western Oregon this autumn; I've glimpsed the group, but it's been barely visible in the poor transparency. And as has been noted elsewhere, the effects of the Tonga volcano may be problematic, too.

The flat galaxies are great; I've had a blast working on them. It'll probably be Arps and VVs after that.