Thread: How often do you you get out?

Question How often do you you get out?

Having gotten a great observing run last weekend, it got me thinking, how often do y'all get under some dark skies to observe. I am pretty happy with once a month, however sometimes I can sneak in two nights. For me it really comes down to weather, and Alabama is not known for a ton of clear nights like some of the southwestern states.

I average about once a month, although with Irish weather it tends to be 2 or 3 nights during one new moon followed by no nights for several new moons.

Summer is also pretty much a loss from 54-deg N, but I usually get a night or 2 in during a vacation (under pristine skies in Colorado).

Lately for me, it's been at least 4-5 nights a month... but that's at least half outreach events, which are often done under less than ideal skies, and dictated by the audience (usually kids and their parents). My personal observing amounts to perhaps 2 of those nights a month, although usually from 6.0 skies (only 20 miles distant, which may be enviable to some in larger population locales), unless I can afford to spend the time driving an hour to southwest Iowa, where there are some locations approaching 7.0. I try to get to at least 2 regional/national star parties a year, which provide me a long weekend up to a full week of truly enjoyable stargazing. Looking longer term, I have one kid left in our nest... after it's fully empty, my wife and I are hoping to migrate to somewhere outside of Albuquerque, where I expect to at last build a roll off roof observatory, allowing more spontaneous observing time (not to speak of the much clearer skies and milder winters which await!).

Twice a month, weather permitting. I would get out more if I could observe from home or if the job wasn't quite the witch with a capital "b" it is now. That being the case, I try to maximize my time under the stars, usually doing video with my Mallincam Xtreme and going for a minimum of 50 objects a run. Back home over the next week or so I can "observe" the objects at my leisure. I am not tired of through-the-eyepiece, but this is not a good time for that for me.

I also observe in average twice a month (mostly at dark sites about minimum 100 miles from my house). Additionally i observe a bit during my family vacation (most times i take a 8" travel newton with me) and i try to make an weekly astro-trip once a year with my observing buddies. In total this adds up to about 30 nights per year.
    I would like to observe more, but job, family, german weather conditions and other hobbies do not allow that.
    But i am fine with that and enjoy every night (typically i observe till sun- or moon rise).
    Clear skies
    Marc

Administrator/Co-Founder Dragan's Avatar
    I definitely don't get out as much as I'd like to (or use to for that matter). Last year we managed 2 or 3 nights every new moon period from April thru November. It was one of our better years in a long time!

Nowadays f I get out once or twice a month I'm ecstatic. Between Midwest weather, my 4 on 2 off work schedule and a 100 mile one way trip to our dark site it definitely can be a challenge to get the big scope out. And I definitely don't see things getting any easier once our first child arrives at the end of August!

Now I do occasionally pull the 8" out into the driveway for a quick fix or run over to DSF member John Spacks house to image with him in his home observatory. These occasions can afford a good 6 or so additional nights a month. Its not under ideal skies but it does get us some observing.
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    25" f/5 Obsession #610 "Toto"
    30" f/4.5 OMI EVO #1 "Tycho"
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

With all the clear(er) skies lately here in Chicago, I have been observing more this year, but not much visually at a dark site. Several weeks ago I had my 18UC Cheyenne out for testing purposes three days in a row in my backyard! That is a record for me in Chicago. No deep sky items (I live a mile form Dragan and plenty of city lights), but got some great views of Saturn that stunned the neighbors. And as Dragan mentioned, I do imaging in the home observatory whenever I can. Looking forward to attending the latter part NSP in July depending on my work schedule.
    Clear skies and 73's
    John
    KN9R
    18" UC
    C14

Over the years I've averaged around 35 nights a year, but that's heavily weighted toward the summer months. Take out GSSP (June or July, four nights) and OSP (August, six nights) and my total comes down fast. From November through June I'll often get skunked for several months in a row but every year is different. So far this year I was skunked January through March, drove to northern California (Likely) in April and May and so far have been skunked for June. I would have been skunked in April and May had I stayed home in Portland, Oregon. Most of this is related to weather, but my work schedule plays a big role too.

And yes, this is driving me nuts - or at least to northern California so I don't go nuts anymore than I am!

One thing I've noticed the past two years is that even when it is clear the transparency is noticeably less than it used to be. Anyone else notice this? Last year at the OSP we only had half of one night that was as transparent as it was all the time just a couple of years ago.
    Howard
    30-inch f/2.7 alt-az Newtonian
    https://sites.google.com/site/howardbanichhomepage/
    https://sites.google.com/site/sprays...pemirrors/home
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Telescope magazine

If I'm lucky, twice a month. And with work being what it is, am limited to weekend sessions.
    Lou Behrman
    Ambler, PA

17.5" f/4.1 AstroSystems TeleKit -- "Ursa"
    Zambuto Optics
    6" f/6.5 Antares Achromat

Speaking of degradation in transparency... we're really beginning to see the impact of the Colorado fires over Nebraska.

I try very hard to get out 2-3 times a month and I plan for 2 week long trips to a good dark sky site. Here in Ky the skies are usually pretty thick in the summer months so,I try to get to The WV mountains when possible. I try to make my week long trips in the spring and fall months when the chance for clear dry air is the best. I would observe more if circumstances would allow it.

Like Preston, just once a month under dark skies. And one other session for a couple hours under the bright skies of LA for the Moon and planets.
    I have averaged 10 dark sky sessions per year for the last 8 years. That's why I always try to observe dusk to dawn when I go out. It's too few
    hours under the stars otherwise.
    Don Pensack
    www.EyepiecesEtc.com
    Los Angeles

Two and sometimes three times a month. There's a lot of cloud cover here most of the time so when it's clear, work may suffer a little bit the next day.

This year probably not more than 4 times in total. The weather, light pollution, work and probably one of the worst 22 Obsession's Dave ever made is pretty much driving it off the radar.

Owen

Since May, not at all. Light nights and the UK's wettest summer on record have put a complete stop to all my observing activities at the moment. But, weather permitting, I get out two or three times a week when the Moon is not in the sky, or when it is at a small phase.
    18" f/4.3 David Lukehurst Dob
    8" f/6 Dark Star Dob
    8x42 binoculars
    100% visual observing

Visual Observing - FJ Astronomy

My average is 20-25 sessions per year. Most of it between April and October, since winter skies in Poland are usually cloudy. But there are exceptions, like last February, when I observed for 1 hour at -26 deg C. Brrr.... but it was worth it, the Flame Nebula and M42 were incredible :-)
    13" f/4.6; FS102; Miyauchi Bj100

-------------------------
    "Only he, who knows when to remain silent, talks without harm" (Thomas A. Kempis)