Thread: NGC 459

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    As told.
    Last December I was observing at LaPalma in a 20” and as one here never saw the galaxy NGC 459 ( 12” Dob ) I was going after it at LaPalma.
    Last fall in Sweden was terrible and nothing to observe in the 30 plus the object was to low in spring at home in Sweden so I was going after in last week at south of Sweden.
    I used Nikon HW 14 mm and it popped up direct ( 225X )
    Sky at LaPalma at 900 meter was around 21.5 and sky at Sweden now was moister and 21.3 and sea level.
    I say both sky was bad. But let me say I’m kinky on sky as we like it jet black. right.
    LaPalma when I has been there has never really be great ( 6 times or new moons ) but I seen clear sky and 21.9 but seeing is often a issue ( ? )
    Most of the time I observe on west side ( turbulance ? )
    But at sealevel and 21.3 but 30” it was easy ( but faint )
    Good thing compare to Sweden its observation often all nights ( if not calima ) as here its Very few night to use the telescope as snow, winter for 6 month, no astro in summet then moister, wind and sky is not dark plus we are at most 250 meter up.
    Anyway the aperture ( 12 year old coatings ) and telescope has been ’out’ all days since new but the Sweden sky blowed LaPalma away.
    Hershel saw this galaxy in a 14” in that days coatings converted.
    Last edited by Hakann; August 22nd, 2023 at 12:09 AM.