Thread: Possibly Visible Supernova Remnant Candidate in Canis Major

Possibly Visible Supernova Remnant Candidate in Canis Major

This ones for you, Uwe (my deep-sky brother), since if you hadn't started the thread SNR G206.9+2.3 in Monoceros, I still wouldn't have seen that SNR in my 16-inch!

About 1 degree northeast of Delta Canis Majoris is a 11'-wide planetary nebula known as FP J0711-2531. Apparently, on HASH, it was discovered and classified as a planetary nebula, but is now considered to be more likely a supernova remnant. I'm looking forward to trying for it in my 16-inch and, like a lot of objects I seem to become aware of at the tail of the said object's observing window, am a touch upset I didn't learn of it a few month earlier.

Here is the image that (today) I first stumbled upon it. And here is Peter Goodhew's image of it, showing that an O-III filter should be of some us!

You know I'm going to have to take a shot at it after the moon leaves the evening sky...

Scott H.
    Contributing Editor for Sky & Telescope
    8x56, 10x50, 12x60, 15x70 binoculars
    130mm, 150mm, 10-inch SCT, 16-inch ES Dob

On HASH, in the notes section to FP J0711-2531, Quentin Parker wrote "Large, wispy/filamentary, approximately round PN candidate or SNR; spectrum has [NII]~0.8H-alpha, [SII] strong ~0.6H-alpha, but low density; [OIII]>H-beta;[OII] in far blue and [OI] in red; In area of wispy MIR emission. Possible faint, extended NVSS radio emission. No evidence of blue CSPN in PANSTARRS g-band. Deep amateur narrow-band images by Peter Goodhew in January 2021, see: https://www.astrobin.com/dkpzwh/. Is also a possible Supernova remnant as spectrum also has [OI]6300,6363 and has filamentary type structure and possible extended radio emission. Needs more data."

On 4/16/23, I was using a 36" f/5.1 dobsonian and looked for it as soon as it was dark. With filters and 150x, it was visible mostly north of a binocular bright star. I could see it about the same with either O-III or NPB filter. Not being used to the field of view (just 31'), I was surprised at how well it fit into it. Round, diffuse glow. Wasn’t easy, but a confirmed sighting.

Now it just needs to be confirmed as a SNR!!

Scott H.

CMa SNR.jpg

Hi Scott,

Congratulations!! This seems to be the first visual observation ever of this nebula!? It mus feel like climbing a mountain for the first time. :-)
    You wrote that it wasn't easy with 36". So would you estimate that it is invisible with 20"? I was thinking about giving it a try next season, but it is quite low above the horizon at my location.

Clear skies

Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Hi Scott,

Congratulations!! This seems to be the first visual observation ever of this nebula!? It mus feel like climbing a mountain for the first time. :-)
    You wrote that it wasn't easy with 36". So would you estimate that it is invisible with 20"? I was thinking about giving it a try next season, but it is quite low above the horizon at my location.

Clear skies

Robin
    Good question. I would say that it should be 20-inch visible from my latitude (36.1N) and under my skies (best nights 21.6mpsas). I mean, I don't have a 20-inch, but you can bet I'm going to try for it in my 16-inch. I truly do think I have a shot. Observing through a 36-inch might sound impressive, but this one has big chips in the primary mirror, a light shroud that only goes halfway in circumference, a star-diagonal, and is under 21.2mpsas skies. So I like to think that if I had Steve Gottlieb's 24-inch at my place, I'd see just a much/faint.

Scott H.

Okay, Robin, I've looked at FP J0711-2531 twice now this winter and twice I saw it with an O-III filter. The second time was a few nights ago and it was distinct in my 16-inch with an eyepiece yielding 60x and a 6.8mm exit pupil. A little harder to see at 100x, but still there! Below is Peter Goodhew's O III image and I've circled what I saw.

Scott H.

oiii-for-jpeg_orig.jpg

Hi Scott,

That's a cool observation! This object is still on my list. I've only experienced 5 clear nights after October, so the backlog of planned observations is quite huge now. :-)

Clear skies

Robin