UGC 5829 AKA Spider Galaxy
VV 794
Leo Minor
RA 10 42 42
DEC +34 27 11
TYPE Dwarf IRR
MAG 13.4V ?
—————————————-
UGC 5829 is a large low surface galaxy that also has the name of “Spider Galaxy”. I first learned about this object in the late 90’s. I have never known who named this galaxy the spider galaxy but seeing that it has a VV catalog number I would not be surprised if that is who gave it its name . Vorontsov Velyaminov gave many nick names to galaxies in his catalog. If any one knows who named it the “Spider Galaxy”I would really like to know.
UGC 5829
82F62815-5DAD-4A5C-A34D-E0D7EE65DD98.jpeg

The first time I observed the Spider with my old 25” reflector in the early 2000’s I was shocked at how LSB this galaxy was and also it was hard to get my mind around what was going on with it it looked like a bomb had gone off in it. The big question in my mind even to this day is what happened to this galaxy? It is fairly close at 40MLY but it is not evident as to what has disturbed this galaxy. In the annotate image below by the late Rick Johnson he remarked that the SDSS had marked a bright spot as a galaxy. He like me is suspicious that the knot is a separate galaxy and not a star forming region. I would be interested in your thoughts on this.
Rick Johnson Image
4359F111-7FE5-4E7A-ADEE-86F6634EFF48.jpeg

I think more research on the Spider would be in order I would really like to understand what forces are at work to disrupt this large galaxy like this.

Give It A Go
Good Luck And great Viewing