Thread: Field sweeping - experiences & mechanisms ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi Robin,

I already wrote an email to you, but my emailer has a sec problem w/Google currently (your ping reply has arrived thx). Will be solved in 1-2d, I hope.

I agree with everything you're saying. Although my personal feeling is not that I move things thru the av sweet spot, but the increased 'sensitivity' is basically everywhere, once I move. Still it's interesting to hear that you seem to use it a bit differntly - ok everyone might have his own technique, sure.

Wrt literature I got a bit of disencouraged recently since I tried to read a review on the use of fMRT for the investigation of the visual cortex. This one: https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/ab....070203.144220
    Hard to understand (that's what I expected, sure) but also: not so terribly much known about these (fs) effects neither, which amazes me a bit. Well definitely there are specific areas for movement recognition in the visual cortex and you can see this in MRT scans ! (so the 'true + hard science' says it's there, finally :-)

For us it is worth noting that FS does come pretty naturally with use of Dobsonian scopes. We need to push anyway, so we see no problem in pushing for improved vision, again. That might be in contrast to people running equatorial mounts, who love 'steadiness' once they found the object (I guess that the regular case). Another argument for the dobsonian way of life. On the other hand FS perhaps seems so natural that it's not worth talking about !?

Thx for the S+T article. Interesting overall, however there is not really very much more than what we already knew about FS. However concerning retina-based 'integration' I never felt real positive about it. More on the contrary, my eyes are (sort of) tiring once I stay focused on a single point for a longer time. I guess that biological mechanisms tend to classify constancy into 'being normal' and thus rather suppress it in order to detect any changes on it with higher sensitivity. (You may remember the image of 3 circle areas each coloured differently - after some time looking at it, you then switch to a white sheet - result: you gonna see 3 circles in complementary colours - explanation: firing green receptors trying to normalize red into grey, then on white background still firing green etc.).

So far so good (hope to get email working soon again) - we'll see what others might say wrt their 'way of FS'...
    Last edited by petersurma; June 4th, 2023 at 07:17 PM.
    Peter

eyes4skies.de - reports - xref
    20" dobsonian
    6" bigfinder attached
    Google Translator