Thread: Object Of The Week June 4, 2023 - NGC 5634

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The only observing report I have of this object comes from perhaps the year 2005 or 2006, when I used to observe with a few friends using my 8" f/8 telescope from the variable skies of southern India. My online log reads:
    "This is a strangely misplaced object - globulars are found in the Milky Way core, or in an orbiting galaxy, but this is found in the opposite direction! Quite bright. Found by a friend."
    I guess, this shows a teenager's lack of understanding about the galactic halo as a place where globulars can be found. Also back then, "Quite bright." was as much as I logged!

But I wish to contribute a much more interesting incident. From my experience interacting with him, I've found Steve Gottlieb to have a very remarkable memory for NGC object designations. So sometimes I like to quiz Steve just to watch him in action. Last week several of us forum members had gathered in northeastern California for the Golden State Star Party 2023: Steve Gottlieb, Jimi Lowrey, Howard Banich, Paul Alsing and myself; 5 out of our 12 OOTW authors! Friday night was the night of the raffle, and everyone got a raffle ticket either with a number ending in the 5000s or the 8000s. Obviously, the 8000s numbers were no fun because it was beyond the NGC's ~7840 entries. I walked down and sat next to Steve to quiz him about the 5000s numbers, starting with my own raffle ticket. "Steve, what's NGC 5634?", I asked him. His response, although in a playful taunting tone, took me aback a bit -- "Are you kidding me? You should be ashamed of yourself!" . Turns out we had just discussed this OOTW thread several hours earlier that evening, and I had failed to connect NGC 5634 to be the globular in Virgo and the object of the week!

Anyway, the Object Of The Week has got to be a lucky raffle ticket, right? I did win! Unfortunately, what I won was an SCT micro-focuser; I'll now have to find someone going over to the dark side so I can trade it for a Dobsonian focuser!

Lucky NGCs and Clear Skies,
    Akarsh
    Last edited by akarsh; June 23rd, 2023 at 08:09 AM.
    18" f/4.5 Obsession dob "Romela"
    6" SkyQuest Orion dob
    Garrett Optical 25x100
    Homepage
    DSS Tool : Logbook Project : KStars
    The Astronomy Connection : Austin Astronomical Society : Bangalore Astronomical Society