Thread: Object of the Week, June 11th, 2023 - UGC 9829 - Now That's a Strange Galaxy!

Object of the Week, June 11th, 2023 - UGC 9829 - Now That's a Strange Galaxy!

Name: UGC 9829 = MCG +00-39-023 = CGCG 021-085 = VV 847 = KTG 61C = WBL 565-003 = PGC 54911
    R.A.: 15h 23m 01.6s
    Dec.: -01° 20' 50" (2000)
    Con: Serpens
    Type: Sb peculiar
    Size: 2.1'x0.9'
    Magnitudes: 14.0V, 15.0B

So how did Arp miss this peculiar galaxy? Vorontsov-Velyaminov included UGC 9829 as VV 847 in his Atlas of Interacting Galaxies, Part II under the heading "Jets and Tails without visible cause." My pick for OOTW is part of a trio cataloged as KTG 61, from the Isolated Triplets of Galaxies by Valentina Karachentseva and Igor Karachentsev. The three galaxies have fairly similar redshifts (z = .0275 to z = .0290), but the two companions (CGCG 021-081 and -083) to UGC 9829 appear undisturbed. A 4th galaxy (also undisturbed) to the southeast (CGCG 021-087) shares this redshift and the quartet is cataloged as WBL 565 in the 1999 A Catalog of Nearby Poor Clusters of Galaxies.

Some important questions remain. Which galaxy has disrupted UGC 9829? Is the long northern arm actually "broken" and dangling at an odd angle, or is the appearance mainly due to our perspective and the galaxy's high inclination? Or perhaps the oddly bent portion of the northern tidal arm is a separate galaxy? In the scientific literature, UGC 9829 is considered a "merger remnant" -- in other words, the two galaxies have already fully merged (only a single nucleus is evident). I've tried searching through the literature and can't find any studies that shed light on these questions. What do you think? Here's a labeled SDSS image.

KTG 61.jpg

UGC 9829 lies in the southwest corner of Serpens about 3.6° south-southeast of M5. NED lists one redshift-independent distance of 116 Mpc or 378 million l.y. (Tully-Fischer method), which is nearly an exact match with the Hubble-flow distance of 118 Mpc. I made two observations with my 24-inch in 2014 as part of a survey of all 84 KTG triplets and a portion of the tidal arms was seen on one observation. The small CGCG galaxies (roughly V = 15.0 and B = 16.0) were both faintly visible continuously with averted vision.

24" (5/29/14): UGC 9829 is fairly faint, elongated 4:3 N-S, 0.4'x0.3'. The remarkable tidally stretched arms extending north and south were not seen.

24" (6/27/14): UGC 9829 is faint and small with a slightly elongated core region about 15"x12". Often extremely faint extensions (arms) are visible extending NNW to SSE, but full size on images not seen. Brightest in a trio (KTG 61) with CGCG 021-081 1.6' WSW and CGCG 021-083 2.4' SSW.

I had another look through Jimi's 48-inch in 2019 at 545x, and the tidal arms were much more impressive!

48" (5/1/19): This unusual galaxy contained a bright elongated core ~0.3'x0.2'. A spiral arm is attached on the east side and was brightest near the root. It continues as a diffuse, low surface brightness extension to the south and bends slightly convex to the east, for a total length of ~40". A second faint tidal arm is attached on the NW side of the core. This thin arm extended straight north for a full 1' and brightens somewhat at the north end. The faint, broken section angling southeast from the north tip was marginal and not seen with confidence.

The late Rick Johnson, who posted a large collection of his "off the beaten path" galaxies on CloudyNights, imaged this galaxy in late 2013 and it caught my imagination.

KTG 61_Rick.jpg

Because UGC 9829 doesn't have a NGC, IC or Arp designation and it hasn't been popularized by an HST image, it's pretty far off the beaten track and could use some observations this month! If you take a look...

As always,

"Give it a go and let us know!
    Good luck and great viewing!"
    Last edited by Steve Gottlieb; June 11th, 2023 at 09:17 PM.
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel

I have a log entry of KTG 61 through Jimi Lowrey's 48" f/4 telescope from 2022 April 27th.

I wrote of the night: "Steve Gottlieb and Howard Banich arrived here. The sky is terrible with thunderstorms, but there is some expectation of clearing. SQM = 21.66 MPSAS." One wonders if the quality of skies is inversely proportional to the number of observers at a location.

All I sketched of KTG 61C was An elongated core with a stubby arm going south and a thin and longer arm going north, somewhat curved clockwise.
    18" f/4.5 Obsession dob "Romela"
    6" SkyQuest Orion dob
    Garrett Optical 25x100
    Homepage
    DSS Tool : Logbook Project : KStars
    The Astronomy Connection : Austin Astronomical Society : Bangalore Astronomical Society

I think the "tail" is an edge-on Magellanic in projection and only weakly interacting. It would be a bit large, but then maybe the spiral is small. A normal spiral with particularly dense dust obscuring the core is my next choice before thinking how such an odd tail could have been pulled out.
    Ivan
    20" Sky-Watcher
    deepskyblog.net

I can contribute the writing with a sketch through the know and beloved Texas giant.

sketch: 48", 488x, NELM 7m0+
    UGC9829.jpg
    home
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2