Canes Venatici
RA
13 46 23
Dec
+43 52 19
Mag 12.6 V
Type SAB
………………………………………… ……………………..
If you notice in the image below NGC 5297 has what appears as a most unusual hook like appearance in its southern spiral arm. The first time a saw this I was intrigued if this hook like feature would be visible in my telescope. NGC 5297 is interacting with NGC 5296 a S0 type galaxy close by. This interaction may be what is the causes of the hook in the spiral arm of NGC 5297.

SDSS
IMG_0453.jpg

NGC 5297 was found on April 9, 1787 by William Herschel. It is interesting to me that he missed the 14.3 V Mag NGC 5296 so close by. NGC 5296 was found later by George Stoney on May 3, 1850 with the 72” telescope of William Parsons.

I observed this gem last night under excellent seeing conditions and fair transparency for summer. At 610x and 813X NGC 5297 was a sight to behold. The spiral structure was plainly evident and brighter core was a sight to see. I could easily see the hook arm going between the stars on the South end and with averted vision I could see the hook turning up. I could not see the hook going back towards the galaxy. But what I did see was awesome. In the deep image below you can see the interaction of the galaxies.

Capella Team
IMG_0454.jpeg

I have a reason to return to this remarkable pair while I was doing research on this group I learned of a high redshift galaxy close by and just to the south of NGC 5296. It is PGC 48812 with a Z=0.0863 which give it a light travel time of 1.1 GLY

So next time why not see this interesting pair and maybe you can catch the hook!

Give It ago!

Good Luck and Great viewing!