Canes Venatici
    RA
    13 46 23
    Dec
    +43 52 19
    Mag 12.6 V
    Type SAB
    ………………………………………… ……………………..
    If you notice in the image below NGC 5297 has what appears as a most unusual hook like appearance in its southern spiral arm. The first time a saw this I was intrigued if this hook like feature would be visible in my telescope. NGC 5297 is interacting with NGC 5296 a S0 type galaxy close by. This interaction may be what is the causes of the hook in the spiral arm of NGC 5297.

SDSS
    IMG_0453.jpg

NGC 5297 was found on April 9, 1787 by William Herschel. It is interesting to me that he missed the 14.3 V Mag NGC 5296 so close by. NGC 5296 was found later by George Stoney on May 3, 1850 with the 72” telescope of William Parsons.

I observed this gem last night under excellent seeing conditions and fair transparency for summer. At 610x and 813X NGC 5297 was a sight to behold. The spiral structure was plainly evident and brighter core was a sight to see. I could easily see the hook arm going between the stars on the South end and with averted vision I could see the hook turning up. I could not see the hook going back towards the galaxy. But what I did see was awesome. In the deep image below you can see the interaction of the galaxies.

Capella Team
    IMG_0454.jpeg

I have a reason to return to this remarkable pair while I was doing research on this group I learned of a high redshift galaxy close by and just to the south of NGC 5296. It is PGC 48812 with a Z=0.0863 which give it a light travel time of 1.1 GLY

So next time why not see this interesting pair and maybe you can catch the hook!

Give It ago!

Good Luck and Great viewing!
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

It looks like the outer arms have been distorted on both sides.
    http://panther-observatory.com/galle...297_CAP_36.htm
    Reminiscent of NGC247, but more disturbed than 247:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NGC_24...xy_NGC_247.jpg
    Don Pensack
    www.EyepiecesEtc.com
    Los Angeles

I noted an observation with my old 14.5-inch and 283x under rural skies. I noted: sharply defined longer NE side; peak inside 5297 at the NW end; two faint stars at the SE end; 5296 steadily visible with averted vision but with no details

I clearly have to revisit this pair with my 27-inch.
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2