Thread: Object of the Week, July 30th, 2023 – PN K 3-27 - LYRA

Object of the Week, July 30th, 2023 – PN K 3-27 - LYRA

Object of the Week, July 30th, 2023 – PN K 3-27 = PK 061+08 1 = PN G061.0+08.0 - LYRA

R.A.: 19h14m30.0s Dec.: +28°40'45"

Size: 16" Size:, Magnitude: 14.30

Kohoutek 3-27 is a planetary nebula in Lyra and is well-placed at this time of the year. It is definitely a mostly overlooked object as it is dim and small, but using an NPB filter made the hunt for it fairly straightforward. There is a nice mag 8 star about 2.5 arc-minutes almost directly west and a mag 9.7 star about 3 arc-minutes almost directly east, and a mag 11.8 star due north. The nebula is a faint round glow with a fairly crisp edge, perhaps 15 or 20 arc-seconds in diameter.

Here is a Skytools view of the area…

ST3 - K 3-27.jpg

The stars east and west are actually double stars, with MRZ 1 in the east having a tight 1.8” separation and the star on the west actually being component C of a triple star, but simultaneously being the brightest star of the group… with components A and B being almost 2 arc-minutes away!

In any case, K 3-27 is much easier to find if you use a filter. There are not a lot of pictures of this guy on the internet, but I did like this one…

k 3-27 rotated.jpg

… which came from a fellow named lowenthalm at astrobin. I rotated it to get north at the top.

As always, give it a go and let us know.
    Paul Alsing
    25" f/5 Obsession
    http://www.pnalsing.com/home

Perhaps I need a more recent observation. This one is from 37 years ago – you sure the PN is still there?

17.5" (8/2/86): faintly visible unfiltered at 220x and 286x as a fairly small, round disc. Estimate V = 14.5. There was a noticeable -- though not a significant -- contrast gain using a UHC filter. Located 2.7' E of mag 8.6 SAO 86970, and four additional mag 10-11 stars are within 5' radius.
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel

A few years ago I noted:
    relative faint glow, only visible with averted vision; round and filled with good defined edges; NE and SW edges somewhat better defined but no real ring structure; only a slightly improvement with filters; easy and direct vision CS; nice star chain in the NW

sketch: 27", 586x, no filter, seeing III, NELM 6m5+
    K3-27.jpg
    home
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2