Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Object of the Week July 01, 2012 - Wolf-Rayet Shell around WR 134/135

WR 134/135

Wolf-Rayet Shell

Cygnus

RA 20 10 14
    DEC +36 10 35 (position of WR 134)

I noticed this object first a few years ago on widefield narrowband images by JP Metsävainio. It is visible in the right part of this mosaic as a brilliant blue OIII crescent (in the Hubble palette version). The bubble is roughly half ways between the Tulip nebula Sharpless 101 and the Crescent nebula.

http://astroanarchy.blogspot.com/200...g-project.html

With my 22", this WR shell is not visible unfiltered. As most WR bubbles, it responds extremely well to the OIII filter. With filter, it appears as a ghostly crescent that is roughly 15' long and opened towards E. The appearance is similar to that of Sharpless 308, which is, however, considerably larger. This is the summer object I often show to people who would like to see something more exotic than just the Veil or the Ring Nebula :-)

A highly enhanced DSS image of the area. WR 134 is the middle star in the central group of three stars.

WR134.jpg

While WR 134 is roughly in the center of the bubble, Steve Gottlieb digged out a paper, where WR 134 being the source of the shell was questioned and instead WR 135 was suggested to be the true central star.

Very recently, Don Goldman imaged the nebula. His APOD image is here http://www.astrodonimaging.com/galle....cfm?imgID=253 . To my knowledge, this is the only image dedicated to this object.

"GIVE IT A GO AND LET US KNOW"

GOOD LUCK AND GREAT VIEWING!
    Last edited by reiner; July 1st, 2012 at 06:22 PM.
    Reiner

22" and 14" Dobs on EQ platforms and Deep Sky Observing
    www.reinervogel.net