PK 88.7-1.6

Cygnus

Planetary Nebula

RA 21h 14m 15.3s
    DEC +46 17 15

Magnitude 12.1
    Central Star Mag 19.1
    Size 61.0”

Although NGC 7000 generally garners all the attention in this small area of sky in Cygnus, the nearby planetary nebula NGC 7048 definitely deserves a look just as much as the North American Nebula does.
    Discovered on October 19th, 1878 by French astronomer Édouard Stephan in his 31.5” reflector, NGC 7048 is a 12th magnitude planetary just 3 degrees or so northeast of NGC7000 and 7 degrees east of Deneb. Moderately bright, NGC 7048 has been observed in scopes as small at 8” without any filter(203mm). With the aid of an OIII, Sue French makes an observation of this object in her 105mm! So the object is truly in reach of all manner of aperture.

In larger scopes, NGC 7048 sits in a beautifully rich starry field and tends to reveal an ever-so-slightly elongated appearance (north-south) and darker interior region. Its outer edge appears sharp and very defined while its southern rim sports an 11th magnitude star. Higher magnification reveals a smattering of superimposed stars within the object.

With Cygnus nicely placed overhead after sunset, be sure to give NGC 7048 a look. It makes a great target as anyone can spot this object with the help of filters and moderately dark skies. And let’s be real, NGC 7000 doesn’t deserve all of the attention!

And as always, give it a go and let us know!

noao-n7048robinson_erdman_block.jpg
    noao robinson, erdman, block
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    25" f/5 Obsession #610 "Toto"
    30" f/4.5 OMI EVO #1 "Tycho"
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

Hi, here's my observation from 10/21/2022: Ngc 7048 planetary nebula in Cygnus ; magnitude:12.1 ; size:61" ; roundish with a dim star on it's periphery. I used a UHC filter which seemed to help somewhat. I used a 10mm Ethos at 198x with my 14.5 StarStructure f/4.3
    ngc 7048.jpg
    Raul Leon
    14.5 Starstructure Dobsonian f/4.3

http://thestarsketcher.blogspot.com/

These are my last three observations of NGC 7048. Interestingly, this PN appears to be Stephan's first discovery on Aug 3, 1866, although an accurate micrometrical position wasn't found until 12 years later. It was also his most northern discovery as he only searched up to the zenith.

18": using 280x unfiltered appears as a moderately bright disc that is slightly elongated ~N-S, ~65"x60". A mag 10.5 star lies just off the south end (42" from center) and a mag 13 star is off the north end (60" from center). Appears slightly brighter along the west edge and to a lesser extent along the east edge, giving a weak annular appearance. A faint star is right at the northeast edge of the rim and an interior star is on the northwest side. Also, an extremely faint star is sometimes visible at the north-northwest edge of the rim. Located 3.3' ENE of mag 8.3 SAO 50601.

24": at 376x unfiltered; fairly bright, moderately large, very slightly elongated N-S, seen full size at ~60" diameter. The rim is slightly brighter along the western side and very weakly enhanced on the eastern edge. On the northwest side is a brighter, circular region with a faint (interior) star embedded. Overall the planetary has a very weak annular appearance. A mag 8.3 star is 3.3' WSW, a mag 10.5 star is off the SSE edge [42" from center] and a faint star is barely off the NE edge [30" from center].

48": at 375x (unfiltered); bright, fairly large, nearly round, irregular surface brightness. The rim is slightly brighter along the west and northwest side in a thin strip and very weakly enhanced on the east edge. A mag 10.5 star is just off the SSE edge, a mag 15.7 star is very near the NNW edge (180° opposite the bright star) and a star is also at the NNE edge. A brighter interior star is on the northwest side [17" from center]. In addition a couple of very faint stars are superimposed.
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel

A very neat planetary, not too small and visible in small apertures. Six entries in my observing log since 2005, most recently six years ago in the French Ardennes using my 14" SCT and a bit of magnification through a 12mm Nagler, filtered and unfiltered. That observation revealed the most:

12mm Nagler T4

Without AV a round glow that is brighter on the west side where a curved shape is visible, running north to south with the bulge towards the west. With AV the nebula is larger and it is clear that to the WNW of the middle of the brighter part there's a knot, a round brighter part. On the north side of the nebula, with AV, a small, extremely faint outer part of the nebula is visible. A nice nebula!
    1/5 FoV to the WSW is a golden-orange mag. 8.5 star (SAO50601), a notable color.

12mm Nagler T4, Lumicon UHC
    Using this filter some structure is very faintly visible in the western part of the nebula.

12mm Nagler T4, Lumicon OIII
    This filter has a subtly stronger effect than the UHC filter has.

Three years earlier, in my 12" SCT, I observed it from the Alps and made out less detail:

17mm Nagler T4

Quite a large, faint, round glow, with AV brighter on the west side.
    1/10 FoV to the WSW is a yellow-orange mag. 8.5 star (SAO50601), to the SSE is a mag. 10.5 star.

17mm Nagler T4, Lumicon OIII
    This filter has a strong effect on the nebula and the western part of the nebula is clearly brighter.

17mm Nagler T4, Lumicon UHC
    As the OIII filter but not as strong an effect.

Upping the magnification did not reveal anything more:

11mm Nagler T6, Lumicon OIII, Lumicon UHC

As with 17mm.

One year earlier I used the same scope under humid Dutch skies, encountering the nebula while observing nearby double star HJ1629:

Observed simultaneously with the double star HJ1629, one FoV to the NE.

17mm Nagler T4
    A somewhat north to south elongated, oval, diffuse glow, brighter in the center. Directly south is a mag. 10 star with a mag. 10 star to its SSE, 1/8 FoV to the WSW is a yellow-orange mag. 8 star (SAO50601).

17mm Nagler T4, Lumicon OIII
    Using this filter the nebula is even in brightness, elongated north to south without use of AV, using AV the nebula is almost round with ring structure very faintly visible, a dark patch to the north of the center.

17mm Nagler T4, Lumicon UHC
    This filter has the same effect as the OIII filter, but not as strong.

The 3 earlier observations were from the same location in the Netherlands, between 2005 and 2008, but using an 8" SCT. Under those conditions and in that aperture, the nebula was considerably tougher to grab:

2008 - 16mm Nagler T5, Lumicon OIII
    Unfiltered the nebula is not visible.
    Using the filter the nebula is a faint round patch that is just brighter on the WNW side.

2007 - Meade 18mm SWA, #908B Broadband nebular
    The nebula is very faint and barely visible. Using the filter, darkening the background, a faint patch is just visible, directly NW of three stars in a shape that curves towards the NW. Directly west is a mag. 8 star.

2005 - 18mm SWA, #908B Broadband Nebular
    Using this filter the nebula is just visible and a round shape can very faintly be discerned.

18mm SWA
    Using AV and an image nebulosity is visible very faintly, a very faint patch of light without any detail.

NGC7048_1.jpg NGC7048_2.jpg

The guide can be downloaded here.
    Last edited by Clear Skies; September 12th, 2023 at 11:59 AM.
    Victor van Wulfen

clearskies.eu - Clear Skies Observing Guides - CSOG - Blog - Observing Log - Observing Sessions

SQM is nothing, transparency is everything.

I found several observations with 16" and 27". I add the sketch with the 27".

Bernhard Hubl come upon a faint red halo around the PN. I tried it with the 27" and add it to my "Halo-Project". I wrote "27", 172x, UHC, fst 7m0+; under very good transparency N extension up to a 13mag star only suspected with UHC; very difficult and not steadily visible; [OIII] negative results; S and W halo sides not visible".

sketch: 27", 586x, Seeing III, NELM 7m0+
    NGC7048.jpg
    home
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2