NGC 7727
    ARP 222

Aquarius

RA: 23h 39m 53.5s
    DEC: -12° 17’ 38”

Size: 4.7’ x 3.5’

Mag: 10.6

Class: SAB(s)a pec

(I’m filling in this week for Paul as he and Deb travel with the Lowrey’s for yesterday’s annular eclipse)

Approximately 1 billion years ago, two spiral galaxies close enough to be gravitationally bound to one another began the slow arduous process of merging together. Today, we see the continuation of this process as the wispy, peculiar galaxy NGC7727. Unfortunately, with an estimated 1 billion years to go before its completion, we won’t get to see the final product of their merger.

NGC 7727 was discovered by Sir William Herschel in 1785 using his 18.7” f/13 speculum mirrored telescope. Upon its entry into the NGC/IC in 1885, John Dreyer described NGC 7727 as “pretty bright, pretty large, irregularly round, much brighter in the middle”. Neither Herschel nor Dreyer make mention of the faint, wispy arms first annotated by Robert Burnham Jr. in his infamous trio Burnham’s Celestial Handbook. In Vol. 1 on page 171, Burnham makes mention of the arms as ”…faint outer arms extending to 5’.” And finally, in 1966, Halton Arp designates NGC7727 as Arp 222 in his catalog of Peculiar Galaxies owing in part to the pairs “amorphous arms”.

NGC 7727 is the home to two supermassive blackholes – one from each colliding galaxy. In 2021, a team of astronomers using ESO’s Very Large Telescope (VLT) imaged and collected data on the blackholes themselves and determined that they were approximately 154 million and 6.3 million solar masses respectively. Lying approximately 1600 light-years apart from one another, the two are destined to collide with one another in about 250 million years. When this happens, the impending collision will undoubtedly send out gravitational waves similar to the ones recently detected by our own LIGO. Furthermore, the team determined that NGC7727 now holds the record as the closest pair of supermassive blackholes to us located a mere 89 million light-years away. The previous recordholder, UGC 4211 in Cancer, lies 500 million light-years distant.

Visually, NGC 7727 sits within a circlet of stars (think Pisces) and is visible as a faint, non-descript faint glow in telescopes as small as 5”. To have any hopes of seeing the “amorphous arms”, the observer must really use larger aperture with dark, steady skies. In scopes north of about 15” to 18”, the core will appear as a brighter glow with the galaxy as a whole appearing larger and elongated. In the neighborhood of 20 to 25” scopes, the brighter of the two arms reveals itself as it extends itself off to the east. The core, though very small, appears quite bright. Wider field of views will provide you with a nice view as NGC 7727 pairs nicely with its ~12th magnitude neighbor NGC7724 off to the northwest.

Although a bit of a challenge, NGC 7727 makes for a great OOTW. It offers a few of the attributes we look for when selecting an object. It’s visually appealing, albeit in larger telescopes, and it offers a wonderful mental exercise when contemplating what’s going on. Here we have 2 galaxies that began their cosmic dance more than a billion years ago and will continue to do so, for another billion. And now, we know there are two supermassive blackholes that one day will collide and morph into one monster more than 250 million years into the future! And all of this happening in our, relatively speaking of course, cosmic backyard at only 89MLy. Amazing.

So if you manage to get out this dark moon period, please give NGC 7727 a chance. Hopefully you’ll be impressed with all that this cosmic trainwreck has to offer. Both visually and mentally.

And as always, give it a go and let us know!

NGC7727_ESO_VLT.jpg

NGC_7727_hst.jpg

NGC7727_Blackholes_ESO_VLT.jpg
    Last edited by Dragan; October 16th, 2023 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Corrected NGC designation
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    25" f/5 Obsession #610 "Toto"
    30" f/4.5 OMI EVO #1 "Tycho"
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

Nice choice Dragan! I didn't see much more than two featureless glows with my 20" back in 2010 so definitely time for another visit!

One comment. You mention that "NGC24" lies close by and I think that should be "NGC 7724".

Administrator/Co-Founder Dragan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wvreeven View Post
    One comment. You mention that "NGC24" lies close by and I think that should be "NGC 7724".
    You're absolutely correct! I'll correct it now.

Thank you!
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    25" f/5 Obsession #610 "Toto"
    30" f/4.5 OMI EVO #1 "Tycho"
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

Recorded some observations, but one sketch.

sketch: 27", 225x, Seeing IV, NELM 7m0+
    NGC7727.jpg
    home
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

I've got a couple logs for this one, first one at OSP back in 1997 (no notes, just a check) and more recently at the 2019 OSP, both with my 13.1"

8/4/2019 01:33, Seeing-II, Transparency-2, 11mmNagler/136x
    Small, faint and round. Brighter core about 25% of total visible size. Surrounded by ring of stars. No spiral arms/structure seen.

No mention of NGC 7724. Will have to give it another go in the 16"

-Stephen
    16" F4.5 ExploreScientific Gen2 Dob
    13.1" F4.5 TrussTube converted Coulter Odyssey I
    EPs: 35mmPan, 22mmPan, 16mmNagT5, 15mmWF, 12mmOrtho, 11mmNagT1&T6, 7mmNagT6

In my notes with the 12.5", I note the core has a "stellar nucleus"
    I made no notes of arms, but did find the galaxy bore magnification well.
    I used >300x in the 12.5".
    Don Pensack
    www.EyepiecesEtc.com
    Los Angeles

Hi, here's my observation from 10/14/2017: Ngc 7727 galaxy in Aquarius; magnitude:10.6 size:3.6' x 2.8' ; fairly bright with a bright core ; arms were really hard to see, only could see some them intermittently somewhat. I used a 8mm Ethos at 238x with my 14.5 StarStructure f/4.3Scan0612.jpg
    Raul Leon
    14.5 Starstructure Dobsonian f/4.3

http://thestarsketcher.blogspot.com/

Hi, here's my sketch of Arp 222 as seen from La Palma with a 16" and Pentax xw 7mm at 259x.
    I saw it as a fairly bright galaxy with an obvious core zone. With AV the shape resembles that of a cradle, definitely not round. There is a noticeable ring of stars around the galaxy.

Arp-222.jpg
    Martijn
    www.deepskysketch.com
    16" F/3.8 & 10" F/4.8 Sumerian Alkaid travel dob on EQ-platform / Omegon Argus 16 x 70 on Orion Paragon-plus / Swift Audubon 8,5 x 44 / Vixen SG 2.1 x 42

Hot off the press from my colleagues at Gemini South:

https://noirlab.edu/public/news/noirlab2329/
    Clear, dark, transparent skies, Wouter

20" F/5 custom Dob (Chile)
    12" F/5 custom Dob (Chile)
    12" F/5 Explore Scientific Ultra Light Gen 2 Dob (Spain)
    94 mm SharpStar Refractor (Chile, Spain)