Thread: Object of the Week Dec 17, 2023 – NGC 404 Mirach's Ghost

Object of the Week Dec 17, 2023 – NGC 404 Mirach's Ghost

NGC 404, MCG+06-03-018, UGC 718, Mirach’s Ghost, Lost Pearl Galaxy, Comet Komorowski
    Constellation: Andromeda
    Type: Dwarf Lenticular Galaxy (S0)
    RA: 01h 09m 27s
    Dec: +35° 43’ 04”
    Mag: 10.3
    SB: 14.0
    Size: 6.6' x 6.6'

Our Object of the Week, NGC 404, is truly hidden in the openness of the sprawling constellation Andromeda. This bright lenticular galaxy lies approximately 7 arc-minutes northwest of the second-magnitude gold star Beta Andromedae, also know as Mirach. Beta’s light interferes with – but does not drown out – this small round galaxy. The close proximity of the galaxy to the bright Mirach makes it a challenging target to observe and image, giving it the nickname “Mirach’s Ghost.”

MirachNGC404.jpeg
    Image by Kent Wood

Because the galaxy lies so close to Beta that it is not plotted on many star atlases; and when it is plotted in an atlas, Beta’s symbol overlaps it, so the galaxy is easily and often overlooked. This contributes to another problem. According to the late Brian Marsden (British astronomer and longtime director of the Minor Planet Center (MPC) at the Center for Astrophysics, Harvard & Smithsonian) NGC 404 is the one object most often mistaken for a comet. Likewise James Mullaney in his book Celestial Harvest, says, “This galaxy is the sky’s finest example of a false comet.” More on the galaxy’s nickname “Comet Komorowski” later.

Stephen James O’Meara, in Deep-Sky Companions: Hidden Treasures, describes the galaxy as a “round little gem, whose face shines with the luster of a freshly polished pearl.” Along with NGC 404 often being overlook – “Many observers have found NGC 404 by chance, including me.” - he awarded it the nickname “Lost Pearl Galaxy.”

NGC 404 was discovered by William Herschel on September 13, 1784. Cataloged as H II-224, he described the object as “pretty bright, though Beta Andromedae is in the field, considerably large, round, bright middle.”

NGC 404 is one of the most puzzling galaxies in the sky because of its very small redshift combined with its lack of resolution into stars and the absence of the low-average surface-brightness signature expected of dwarf lenticular galaxies. In addition to the very bright central nucleus with massive star formation there is a trace of a dust lane. It may be a member of the Local Group of galaxies. NGC 404 is in the class of galaxies with active nuclei known as LINERs (Low-Ionization Nuclear Emission-line Regions). At least some LINERs are less energetic versions of Seyfert galaxies. Many astronomers believe that active galactic nuclei are powered by giant black holes lurking in the centers of many galaxies.

Observing the Mirach’s Ghost is not that difficult, however it can be challenging. The trick is to get NGC 404 to fall on the rod-rich retina of your eye, which means placing Beta Andromedae away from the center of vision. By placing Beta anywhere away from the field’s center, the galaxy’s diffuse form will swell into view and will be very obvious as a concentrated puff of light approximately 6’ northwest of Beta. The galaxy has been observed with scopes 80mm or greater.

Mirachs Ghost in visible light.jpeg
    This image shows NGC 404 nestled in the bright glow of Beta Andromedae

Here are a couple of observations to share before you get started.

George Kepple & Glen Sanner
    The Night Sky Observers’s Guide Volume 1 Autumn & Winter
    • 8/10" Scopes-100x: Located 6.5' NW of 2nd magnitude star Beta (3) = 43 Andromedae, this galaxy makes an interesting contrast to the star's yellowish-orange glow. Even with Beta Andromedae in the field, NGC 404 is visible with direct vision as a large, round nebulosity slightly brighter at the center. A faint star lies close to the NNW.
    • 12/14" Scopes-100x: This is a beautiful object making a fine pair with the bright star Beta Andromedae. It is fairly bright, small, round, and slightly brighter in the center. During moments of good seeing, a stellar nucleus may be glimpsed.
    • 16/18" Scopes-125x: NGC 404 shows a bright stellar nucleus in a small, round, mottled 2' diameter glow. A 14th magnitude star is embedded in northern edge.

Christian B. Luginbuhl & Brian A. Skiff
    Observing Handbook and Catalogue of Deep-Sky Objects
    dimen. 4:4 x4:2 V = 10.1 sfc. br. 13.2
    This galaxy lies 6' NW of B Andromedae (V =2.1), which interferes with viewing, especially in larger apertures. The object is just visible in 6 cm, forming a triangle with B And and another star SE. In 25 cm it is bright and circular, about 45" diameter. A faint stellar nucleus is visible, but otherwise there is no central concentration. Viewed in 30 cm it is 2.25’ diameter with a slight concentration to a faint stellar nucleus. The halo has a smooth texture. Many stars are visible in the vicinity: one lies 2' N, another 1.8’ SW.

Now it is your turn. Give it a go and let us know.

Sidebar
    The late Tom Lorenzin, author of 1000+ The Amateur Astronomers' Field Guide to Deep Sky Observing, provided this entry for NGC 404:
    TL 1000 entry NGC 404.png
    He continued with the following background information. "In the case of Andromeda's NGC 404 "Comet Komorowski" commemorates highly eccentric Ted Komorowski, Charlotte, N.C., amateur who "discovered" the object and who found nothing plotted that near beta AND on Becvar's Atlas Coeli. Convinced of his claim to fame and immortality, he wired his discovery to the proper authorities and hopped from one foot to the other for days until the big needle returned by mail to puncture his dream. Ted was an amateur astrophotographer long before it was fashionable to be-so (mid-60's). Impulsive by nature, he was known to "assassinate" photos he thought less-than-perfect by shining a flashlight down the tube of his Newtonian while the camera shutter was still open. Alas, Ted Komorowski is reported to have died a violent death by gunshot at the hands of his self-defending girlfriend."

After reading this notation in Tom’s field guide North Carolina amateur astronomer, Roger Ivester became very interested in the story and wanted to learn more. He documented his findings in this paper The Ted Komorowski Story – North Carolina Amateur Astronomer – 1940-1969.
    Clear Skies,

Mark Friedman
    Wheaton, IL USA

Even though no details could be pulled from this galaxy, the view of it is very dramatic and beautiful because of nearby (orange) Mirach.
    This is one of those galaxies that we often return to.

ngc 404.jpg
    Martijn
    www.deepskysketch.com
    16" F/3.8 & 10" F/4.8 Sumerian Alkaid travel dob on EQ-platform / Omegon Argus 16 x 70 on Orion Paragon-plus / Swift Audubon 8,5 x 44 / Vixen SG 2.1 x 42

At 86x with a 10": "Circular patch. Large, clear and near Beta-Andromeda. Had to put it out of the field to see the galaxy better."
    15" f4.5 Obsession Classic
    4" f8.6 Televue 102

Hi ,here's my observation from 10/24/2008: Ngc 404 galaxy in Andromeda : magnitude: 10.3 ; size: 6.6' x 6.6' ; roundish with bright core, Mirach obstructs view somewhat. I used a 10mm Radian at 200x with my 14.5 StarStructure f/4.3
    ngc 404.jpg
    Raul Leon
    14.5 Starstructure Dobsonian f/4.3

http://thestarsketcher.blogspot.com/

This is one my favorite things to simply enjoy looking at - on a dark, transparent night it's hard to beat for for its beauty. The note on my attached sketch says it all.

20_inch_MirachsGhost_2003.jpg 20_inch_MirachsGhost_2003_invert.jpg
    Howard
    30-inch f/2.7 alt-az Newtonian
    https://sites.google.com/site/howardbanichhomepage/
    https://sites.google.com/site/sprays...pemirrors/home
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Telescope magazine

I remember enjoying the "challenge" object way back around 1982 when I observed it in my parent's backyard in San Francisco near the ocean beach with my RV-6 Criterion reflector. I think it was in Burnham where I found this object to look for. It was faint, but pretty easily seen.
    Clear skies,
    Alvin #26
    FaintFuzzies.com
    Texas Hill Country

Very nice sketches here. I never had it on my sketching agenda, who knows why.

I often call the galaxy "good mood object" because of its beauty.
    In the past I failed to see it with my old 8x30 binoculars but saw it directly with my 4-inch bino. So maybe an object for a 10x50?
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

In October 2021 I observed this galaxy with my 20" Dobsonian. With 419x magnification at first I observed it with Mirach in the field of view, just because they are so close to each other. It was really interesting to see such a bright star and a galaxy together in the same field of view. Then I placed NGC 404 outside the field of view to get a better look at this galaxy. I saw a stellar nucleus, surrounded by a brighter inner "halo" and a fainter outer "halo". Please find attached my sketch.

Clear skies

Robin

NGC404Robin.jpg

From my notes with 12.5":
    Small, roundish oval, diffuse edges, bright core, stellar nucleus, moderately bright overall, near bright star ß And

I consider this one of the easiest DSOs to find. My first view was in the '60s with a 4.25" newtonian.
    I wouldn't consider it a challenge object at all unless using a scope a lot smaller than that.
    Don Pensack
    www.EyepiecesEtc.com
    Los Angeles

A few weeks ago I was able to observe NGC404 at
    a Starparty in Jessnigk:
    The galaxy had a stellar core with a round halo.
    View at 230x.

ZMG175-800.jpg

Clear skies
    Werner
    Clear skies
    and best regards

Werner_B