Abell 39

Planetary Nebula in Hercules

Size:155"
Magnitude 12.9
Central Star Mag 15.6

RA 16 27 33.8
DEC 27 54 33

Now how can I possibly post a comparable OOTW after Steve Gottliebs incredible Veil Nebula posting last week! I have some mighty big shoes to fill and I hope you folks find this object worthy!!

Abell 39 is a fairly large but DIM planetary located in Hercules. It is best observed with an OIII filter. What makes Abell 39 noteworthy is its nearly perfect spherical shape that has been observed in scopes as small as 8 inches. In larger scopes the planetary reveals a definitive round shape.

In my 25" with an OIII I've noticed the PN tends to exhibit a brightening along its edge with darkening towards its center. Its round shape is quite obvious appearing nearly perfectly symmetrical. Last year at the Nebraska Star Party, my best views were at 242x.

abell39.jpg abell39_invert.jpg abell39_APOD.jpg

As a side route, feel free to shoot for two MAC galaxies that are within Abell 39's circumference. Listed at 17 & 18th magnitude on Megastar, MAC 1627+2754 & MAC 1627+2753 are probably best saved for the absolute best conditions with some very large glass. I personally have never seen these galaxies but then again I've never gone for them under the most ideal of conditions.

Have you?

abell39_invert_MACs.JPG

And remember,

"GIVE IT A GO AND LET US KNOW"

GOOD LUCK AND GREAT VIEWING!