Thread: The Hunter and the Deep Sky

The Hunter and the Deep Sky

How would you like to observe something new?

The nebula that is this week's OotW has probably been around for ages, hardly something "new". What makes it new is the fact that it has seems to have evaded detection or, at least, nebulae catalogs up until very recently.

The constellation is Orion. The position is 05:58:39.2 +20°11'14.0". That is approximately in between the mag. 4.5 stars Chi-1 & 2 Orionis, all the way in the northeasternmost part of the constellation forming the top of the Hunter's club.

The nebula surrounds the stars 4UCAC551-021152 (mag. 11.7, northeast) and 4UCAC551-021150 (mag. 14.3, southwest), aligned northeast to southwest and separated by 6 seconds of arc.

Date of discovery? 23 November.

Year of discovery? 2023.

Yes, 2023. That's only 10 weeks ago.

Ukrainian aerospace engineering student Vlad Sazhen (Astrobin, Instagram, X) reported his discovery a day later on the Deep Sky Hunters Group on Groups.io. It is the 30th object on his list of potential celestial discoveries.

How did such a relatively bright (reflection) nebula remain unnoticed, despite countless nebulae surveys, papers & catalogs..? That I don't know. What I do know is that it's a pretty spectacular find and, to the best of my knowledge, a new discovery.

Is this nebula bright enough for moderately large amateur telescopes? About that, I have no doubt. Let's make a comparison:

The night of 25 February 2022 under good skies in the French Alps (session, blog), I observed two reflection nebulae in Gemini through my 14" SCT: IC444 surrounding the star 12 Geminorum and its westerly neighbor Dorschner-Gürtler 99. Yes, there is some ambiguity about the nebula surrounding 12 Gem really deserving the IC designation, but that's a different discussion…

The brightest eastern nebula was an easy observation but, to my surprise, much fainter DG 99 to the west-northwest revealed itself, too, with some help from our friend averted vision.

The 30' POSS2 Blue image below shows both nebulae.

ic444-dg99.jpg

Comparing Vlad's nebula, also on a 30' POSS2 Blue image - photobombed by an asteroid or satellite - to Dorschner-Gürtler 99 gives us a good idea of both the nebula's size and brightness. It gives me little reason to doubt Vlad's discovery can be a relatively easy observation. I'd say that, under good skies, it ought to be within reach of 12 inches of aperture, perhaps even 10.

sazhen30.jpg

As always, I have compiled an observing guide for this week's object.

Sazhen 30_1.jpg Sazhen 30_2.jpg

Click here to download.

But what if it turns out that this nebula has in fact been previously recognized..? Well, that ought to not stop you from getting out there and giving it a go. Be sure to report back!
    Victor van Wulfen

clearskies.eu - Clear Skies Observing Guides - CSOG - Blog - Observing Log - Observing Sessions

SQM is nothing, transparency is everything.

"How would you like to observe something new?"

I would! I would!

Yesterday, on the evening of February 5th, I got my first really good night to observe since Jan 10. Knowing I would be using my 16-inch, I put Sazhen 30 on my list and made a chart for it. Like Victor said, it's a breeze to find the location being centered between Chi-1 and Chi-2 Ori. With my SQM-L reading 21.45 mpsas, I used 150x and could detect a soft, 30"-wide glow around the 11.7-magnitude star. At 300x, the glow was still evident and I realized that the 11.7-magnitude star had a fainter companion 6" southwest. I would say that it was easy enough in my 16-inch to be visible to a skilled observer in a 12-inch. I will have to try for the reflection nebula with my 10-inch, but it's gonna be tough.

Thanks for bringing this one to our attention, Victor. It's so "bright" that, personally, it's really hard to believe that it hadn't been found before! But for Vlad Sazhen's sake, I hope that it hasn't.

Scott H.
    Contributing Editor for Sky & Telescope
    8x56, 10x50, 12x60, 15x70 binoculars
    130mm, 150mm, 10-inch SCT, 16-inch ES Dob

Hi Scott,

Congratulations on your observation! You may be the first person ever to see this visually. I bookmarked the thread at Deep Sky Hunters mailing list end of November and without knowing about this thread over here I gave it a try on February 5 with my 20" Dobsonian. But I wasn't convinced about a detection, because I saw halos around some other stars, too. I might have to clean my mirror and make sure there is no dew on my eyepiece. I used 419x magnification, because I though I would need it to separate it from stars. So for now, I only had a negative observation.
    I will definitely give it a try whenever conditions will be suitable again, trying to experiment with different magnifications.

Clear skies

Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Hi Scott,

Congratulations on your observation! You may be the first person ever to see this visually. I bookmarked the thread at Deep Sky Hunters mailing list end of November and without knowing about this thread over here I gave it a try on February 5 with my 20" Dobsonian. But I wasn't convinced about a detection, because I saw halos around some other stars, too. I might have to clean my mirror and make sure there is no dew on my eyepiece. I used 419x magnification, because I though I would need it to separate it from stars. So for now, I only had a negative observation.
    I will definitely give it a try whenever conditions will be suitable again, trying to experiment with different magnifications.

Clear skies

Robin
    Thanks for posting your attempt, Robin. I've found that reflection nebulae are tricky and one of the very hardest of the deep-sky objects to see because they usually involve discerning a faint glow around a bright star...which can take a lot of experience to discern between a false glow and real glow.

Scott H.
    Contributing Editor for Sky & Telescope
    8x56, 10x50, 12x60, 15x70 binoculars
    130mm, 150mm, 10-inch SCT, 16-inch ES Dob

When there's a bit of moisture in the sky, it will lead to "Flaming Star conditions", as I like to call it: halos surrounding brighter stars that all try to mimic IC405.

Dew on the optics and breathing on an eyepiece will do the same, but that will be obvious much quicker.

For Sazhen 30 there will be little trouble to differentiate between a faint reflection nebula surrounding a star and a false neb. It's in a pretty rich star field with plenty of stars of comparable magnitude nearby. If there's only one star revealing nebulosity, you can be sure that's it not a false positive.
    Victor van Wulfen

clearskies.eu - Clear Skies Observing Guides - CSOG - Blog - Observing Log - Observing Sessions

SQM is nothing, transparency is everything.

Finally I had the chance to visit the faint RN. It was immediately visible as a faint nebula even in the searching eyepiece. 293x shows a round patch with the brightest part to the west.

sketch: 27", 293x, NELM 6m5+, Seeing III
    Sazhen30.jpg
    home
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

Wish I could see it myself!

Uwe, that is a fantastic sketch. I attached my image of the nebula that is roughly aligned with the sketch you made.

IMG_1725.jpeg

-Vlad

Hi everyone,

After an unsuccessful attempt in early February I gave it another try on Thursday with less magnification and better sky conditions. With my 20" Dobsonian I approached the field with 128x magnification and at first glance I saw a hazy nebula around three of the four 12-14 mag stars that shape a trapezoid. I didn't see such nebulosity around other stars. With 256x magnification it appeared to be more difficult. Please find attached my sketch.

Clear skies

Robin

Sazhen30Robin.jpg