Open Cluster

Canis Major

RA: 06 45 59.8
    DEC: -20 42 58

Mag: 4.5
    Diam: 39.8' x 39.8'

M41-noao.jpg
    NOIRLab / NSF / AURA - https://noirlab.edu/public/es/images/noao-m41/

This week's OOTW is a bright cluster a few degrees south of Sirius, the brightest star in the night sky. From a dark location, it can be seen naked eye as a round glow right next to the star 12 CMa, which is not part of the cluster. The Greek philosopher and polymath Aristotle may have noticed about 325 B.C. but the discovery of the cluster is accredited to Giovanni Battista Hodierna.

In 1654 he published "De systemate orbis cometici; deque admirandis coeli characteribus" (Of the systematics of the world of comets, and on the admirable objects of the sky) which contained 19 nebulous objects which resembled comets but weren't. From SEDS:

Hodierna's catalog of nebulous objects includes independent rediscoveries of the Andromeda Nebula (M31) and the Orion Nebula (M42) and at least 9, but probably 14 and perhaps 16, own original discoveries: M6, M36, M37, M38, M41, M47, NGC 2362, NGC 6231, the Lagoon Nebula M8, the Alpha Persei Cluster (Mel 20), probably M33, M34 and NGC 752, and (possibly) NGC 2451, as well as two further possible discoveries of NGC 2169 and NGC 2175 for which the identification is very unsafe. Also in this work, he created the first preserved drawing of the Orion Nebula.

In other words, he beat Messier by 120 years! The work, however, fell forgotten and wasn't recovered until 1985.

Physically, M 41 contains about 100 stars including several red giants and white dwarfs. It is estimated to be about 190 million years old and lies at some 2300 lightyears from Earth. At a mere 240 lightyears the star 12 CMa is a foreground star and doesn't form part of the cluster.

Over the past 35 years I have observed M 41 many times with the naked eye, binoculars and small to large telescopes. Last night I observed it when it was near zenith from the Rio Hurtado Valley in Chile. At 83x the color difference between 5 red giants and the other, blueish white stars was striking. According to WDS there are 11 double stars in the cluster. I didn't actively track those down and only noticed HJ 2341 as a reddish star and a blueish star while both in fact are blueish. Go figure.

As always,

"Give it a go and let us know!
    Good luck and great viewing!"
    Clear, dark, transparent skies, Wouter

20" F/5 custom Dob (Chile)
    12" F/5 custom Dob (Chile)
    12" F/5 Explore Scientific Ultra Light Gen 2 Dob (Spain)
    94 mm SharpStar Refractor (Chile, Spain)

Hi, here's my observation from 4/4/2011: Messier 41 open cluster in Canis Major ; magnitude:4.5 ; size: 39' x 39' ; large and bright, very interesting star chains in cluster. I used a 31mm Nagler at 91x with my 14.5 StarStructure f/4.3m 41.jpg
    Raul Leon
    14.5 Starstructure Dobsonian f/4.3

http://thestarsketcher.blogspot.com/

Nice OC even with small binoculars. I few days ago I also catches it with naked eye. With the 8x30 I wrote:

With around 9° field nice pair with Sirius. Bright and showy cluster. Half a dozen stars popping out a nebulous background
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

Very low in my sky and seen at low power to fit in all the stars, so there's a bright sky background. Fortunately this OC is consists of sufficient bright stars, some of them with an orange hue. The cluster is loose and the stars are randomly scattered in the field of view, so I don't see any particular shape or pattern. This is an easy naked eye target in a dark and southern sky, but not here in my home country.

Sumerian Alkaid 10" - Pentax XW20mm (60x) - SQM 20.6 - Almere
    M41.jpg
    Martijn
    www.deepskysketch.com
    16" F/3.8 & 10" F/4.8 Sumerian Alkaid travel dob on EQ-platform / Omegon Argus 16 x 70 on Orion Paragon-plus / Swift Audubon 8,5 x 44 / Vixen SG 2.1 x 42