Thread: SNR G132.7+1.3 (HBH 3) in Cassiopeia

SNR G132.7+1.3 (HBH 3) in Cassiopeia

After the fantastic exposure of Peter M. of the Supernova Remnant SNR G132.7+1.3 (HBH 3) in Cassiopeia I tried the brighter western shells. The brightest parts have a linear expansion of around a half degree so it fits in the fields of larger apertures at 100x-150x.

To my surprise the shells were clearly visible. Somewhat fainter than the shells of SNR G065.2+05.7 and similar to SNR G206.9+2.3.

Another SNR to visit and possible to see it visually.

sketch: 27", 113x, [OIII] 6nm, NELM 7m0+, Seeing IV
    HBH3.jpg
    home
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

Hi Uwe,

Excellent observation and documentation! So there is one more SNR that is actually observable. I'll give it a try with my 20" at some time.

Clear skies

Robin

Excellent report, Uwe. And thank you so much for reporting your sighting to us in the first place! I've got my charts created and am all set to give it a try after the Moon exits the sky.

Scott
    Contributing Editor for Sky & Telescope
    8x56, 10x50, 12x60, 15x70 binoculars
    130mm, 150mm, 10-inch SCT, 16-inch ES Dob

Hello all,

this SNR has been on my observing program on October 17th, 2023. During the observing session before, I have seen some large condensations, but been missing the gross features, which are much better offered by the big binoculars.

H-beta (Baader 5.5nm): Large diffuse glow, like a donut, brighter towards north. Best seen through the 10.5x70 binoculars.
    OIII (Astrodon 5nm and Baader 10nm): Two northern arcs, found south of the NGC 886, and some continuation in south. Best seen through the 15x85 binoculars.
    Observing conditions over my Bortle 4 backyard: M31 visible with unaided eyes.

During the preliminary observing session before, I have not been expecting two systems of the OIII emitting filaments.
    This question has been finally resolved and confirmed by the astrophoto of Peter
    https://forum.astronomie.de/threads/...iopeia.354183/
    published in Germany on Novemeber, 26th, 2023.

This one is so far my 50th visually observed SNR, including the SNR relicts with the listed radio or our sources, or otherwise attributed to the supernova events.

Clear skies,
    Jiri
    Clear skies, JG

Main field of interest: Large galactic diffuse nebulae