UGC 7405

Galaxy

Constellation: Coma Berenices

RA: 12 21 13.1
    DEC: +18 22 58

Class: (R)SB(s)0/a
    Mag: 10.3
    Size: 5.6’x2.5’

Discovered on March 14, 1783 by William Herschel, NGC4293 is a lenticular galaxy that sits approximately 54Mly distant towards the constellation Coma Berenices. As an intermediate galaxy sitting between the elliptical and spiral morphological branches, NGC4293 has been described as having “distinguishable tightly wound spiral arms with a bar structure at its nucleus”. Dreyer remarked that NGC4293 is “faint, very large, extended, little brighter middle, mottled but not resolved”.

I was fortunate to observe this object just this last dark moon atop Mauna Loa with Dave Kriege and one of his 22” UC Obsessions. NGC4293 appeared rather bright and elongated with mottling nearest its core. At 180x, we easily spotted the galaxy as a moderately bright east-west oval glow with a brighter core. We both confirmed mottling throughout the galaxy and hints of arms. At 292x, the galaxy held up nicely with the arms becoming even more apparent. On our previous night of observing, we had an incredible view of M82. Dave made mention that 4293 reminded him of the prior nights view of M82 – albeit smaller.

NGC4293 makes for a fine target. Online reports have observers seeing this galaxy in scopes as small as 8 inches. In a large scope from dark skies, NGC4293 really does make for a spectacular view. With so many showpiece Messier objects not that far away, it’s easy to overlook NGC4293. But don’t. I wasn’t disappointed with it and nor will you.

And as always,
    Give it a go and let us know!!

ngc4293wide.jpg

NGC4293_Garry Imm.png
    ©Gary Imm
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    25" f/5 Obsession #610 "Toto"
    30" f/4.5 OMI EVO #1 "Tycho"
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

Nice choice Dragan! With my 20" I noticed an elongated glow with a bright oval core. It looked like there were some dark spots on either end of the elongated glow. I noticed on star at one side and a row of four bright stars on the other side.
    Clear, dark, transparent skies, Wouter

20" F/5 custom Dob (Chile)
    12" F/5 custom Dob (Chile)
    12" F/5 Explore Scientific Ultra Light Gen 2 Dob (Spain)
    94 mm SharpStar Refractor (Chile, Spain)

I can contribute my observation of 4293 with my 27-inch. I overdraw the details to show the different light distribution. The somewhat peculiar centre with its detailed structutes wwas also visible like the fainter outer arms on both long sides.

sketch: 27", 293x-419x, NELM 6m5+, Seeing IV
    NGC4293.jpg
    home
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

Here's my 17.5-inch observation (from 26 years ago): fairly bright, large, elongated 3:1 WSW-ENE, ~4.5'x1.5'. The core is more oval, ~1.2' diameter. The galaxy has an irregular surface brightness and there appears to be a dark band following the core. A mag 13.5 star is just off the following end 2.7' from center and a trio of mag 12-13 stars are off the NE end as well as another mag 13 star 2' N of center.
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel