I've observed this galaxy a few times, most recently in May 2018 with Jimi's 48-inch f/4.0.

48" (5/12/18): very bright and large, irregular oval, ~5'x3'. Sharply concentrated with an extremely bright core that increased to an intense stellar nucleus. The halo was irregular, particularly on the east side, which had a tattered appearance due to dusty intrusions.

When Jimi and I discussed the galaxy with McDonald Observatory astronomer Steve Odewahn, he was quite familiar with it and called it the "Evil Galaxy" (or "Evil Eye") due to the twisting dust lanes around the core. He also mentioned the rare I0 classification, which refers to an amorphous irregular.

Here's another observation with my 18-inch back in 2006

18" (5/28/06): very bright, very large, the halo increases to a large bright core. The halo appears irregular in shape with averted vision with a strong impression of a low surface brightness extension on the southeast side and a less-defined extension to the northwest. On images, this distorted galaxy has very unusual chaotic, twisted dust lanes and disc, with a much fainter outer halo inclined to the main body.

-- Steve