Thread: Two Young Stellar Objects in Cygnus

Two Young Stellar Objects in Cygnus

Here are two relatively bright objects of a recent observing project of mine, Young Stellar Objects , i.e. young stars that have not entered yet the main sequence and are usually still within their envelope of dust and gas in which they actually formed.

_GM2-39.jpg

GM 2-39 in Cygnus (of the catalog by Gyulbudaghian & Maghakian) is a small, but distinct little nebulous patch next to a prominent star pattern. The little YSO appears at 350x quite diffuse and very much brighter towards the middle. At first sight, I suspected the center to be stellar, but after some time an elongation in N/S direction became evident.

_V1982_Cygni.jpg

Gyulbudaghian 98-171 (V1982 Cygni) is immediately visible in my Nagler 7mm as a relatively bright nebula, that trails form V1982 diffuse towards E. Upon more careful examination, a central part could be discerned that was more sharply defined and narrower. At its eastern end, a stellar object could be made out, which is listed in the Herbig-Bell catalog as HBC 727. This was visible only with averted vision and could not be held steadily.

Here are finder charts for both objects
    www.reinervogel.net/pdf/YSO_Cygnus.pdf
    Reiner

22" and 14" Dobs on EQ platforms and Deep Sky Observing
    www.reinervogel.net

Two great Objects Reiner.

I am adding them to my observing list

Thanks I really like Young Stellar objects!
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

I noticed the two small POSS images (blue and composite) of GM 2-39 are reversed north and south, though not east and west -- see the wider field image on top. Was that done with a specific intent or accidentally?
    Last edited by Steve Gottlieb; August 20th, 2012 at 11:13 PM.
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel

Here are my notes on Gyulbudaghian [G98]-171. It was not difficult in my 18", so folks with smaller apertures should certainly give it a try.

18" (8/12/10): I was surprised to easily pick up this obscure cometary reflection nebula at 175x. At the NW end is the young star V1982 Cyg = LKHa 324 (mag 12.5-14) and the reflection nebula extends away from the star to the SE, ~1.2'x0.6'. There appears to be an extremely faint knot or star at the SE end (pre-main sequence star LKHa 324SE = HBC 727). A mag 13.5 star lies 2' ESE of the illuminating star, beyond the nebula. To the west is dark nebula LDN 988, part of the Cyg OB7 molecular cloud.
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space

Thanks for the heads up on the wrong orientation. I used to make these composites with Fitswork, which sometimes does such things if you don't take care which options are activated. Two years ago, I switched to Wikisky to download the color images, where this does, of course, not happen.
    Reiner

www.reinervogel.net

Thanks for posting these really nice objects, Reiner!
    Gyulbudaghian 98-171 was one of the first objects I observed with my new 14" Dob last weekend (see sketch). NELM 6.7 skies and average seeing, at 190x and 270x.
    I couldn't see the faint stellar object at the SE end with certainty, neither could a friend of mine.

There is a second nebula in the same FOV at 270x, LBN 408. It was easily seen as a much too big halo around a 11mag star.
    The reflection nebula GN 21.02.4.01, located roughly 10' south of V1982 Cyg, could not be observed (but we didn't try very long).

V1982Cyg.jpg
    Last edited by Andru; August 23rd, 2012 at 09:06 AM.
    Andru

14" f/5,3 Dob

Sorry for the late reply, I am just coming back from 10 days without internet :-)

Excellent sketch, Andru! HBC 727 at the tip of the nebula was difficult even with my 22" under our rural skies. This needs better skies and/or more aperture :-)
    Reiner

www.reinervogel.net

I had a chance to view GM 2-39 for the first time after Reiner's post at a central California star party this month with my 24".

GM 2-39 was easily picked up at 200x as a diffuse glow surrounding a very faint "star". Situated close west of a N-S chain of mag 12-14 stars extending towards the southeast. At 325x the nebula appeared slightly elongated 5:4 N-S, ~20"x16". The young illuminating source was visible most of the time and was possibly slightly nonstellar. Located on the SW side of the section of the IC 1318 nebula labeled as Sh 2-108 on the Uranometria 2000.0 atlas and 1.2° NE of NGC 6888 (Crescent Nebula).

Coincidentally, I covered the IC 1318 complex in the September issue of Sky & Tel, but of course did not mention GM 2-39.
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space

Thank you Steve for sharing the view if this object with myself and others. My notes are not transcribed from the recorder as of yet.
    Let me roam the deep skies and I'll be content.
    Mark Johnston
    18" StarMaster f/3.7
    12" Meade LightBridge f/5

I looked at [G98] 171 a while back with my 15-inch at 216x. It was not particularly difficult. My sketch is similar to Andru's, showing a nebula streaking east-southeast from a starlike point. The note next to it puts it at about 50" long. - Sue

Hi Reiner!
    The objects are on my list for October! Thanks for the idea of these interesting objects!
    Lg Hajü