Thread: What is this Object?

What is this Object?

Does anyone have any information on this object in Andromeda? Simbad list it as ZOAG G136.85-1322 Galaxy. It sure looks like a PN to me?

RA
    02 12 27

Dec
    +47 27 10

And pn.jpg
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

You're probably right, Jimi. I put your coordinates into VizieR (http://vizier.u-strasbg.fr/viz-bin/VizieR) with a search radius of 1 arcminute. Near the bottom of the page is an entry from Brian Skiff's "Catalogue of Stellar Spectral Classifications" (2009-2012). The ZOAG object is listed as a mag 18.5V planetary with a reference to Mattias Kronberger, so I'm guessing he flagged it as a possible planetary. I have no clue whether there's been any follow-up but a post on the DeepSkyHunters group may yield some more information.
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel

Jimi,

funny post for me - first thought of mine "cool looking object - I have to try this". Than my brain started to work and I took a look in my observation book.

Two years ago (July 8, 2010) Matthias Kronberger and I made the first observation of this object with my 27". The object was discovered from Matthias and logged as possible PN candidate. As far as I know the object is approved as a real PN and is now called "Kronberger 60". (for sure Matthias can tell us more about)

With 27" and 172x + [OIII] the PN could be hold easily with averted vision. With 419x both lobes could be detected, the N lobe a little bit brighter. We could not see the CS.

sketch: 27", 419x, [OIII], NELM 7m+
    Kn.jpg
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

Uwe,

I have also observed this object but was wondering if there has been any new research done to prove it was a PN?

I ask about it on AMASTRO and this is what Brian Skiff had to say about it,

The nice bi-polar structure, very blue central star, and weak
    IRAS 25mu detection all point to a planetary nebula. The central
    star is in the SDSS DR8 catalogue at V mag 19.4, and precise coords:
    2 12 27.84 +47 27 10.1 (J2000). There are no recent studies linked
    either in SIMBAD or VizieR, though that doesn't mean something is
    not in the works.
    I hope Matthias will jump in here he probably knows if any research has been done on it.
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

Hi Jimi, Uwe,

as already mentioned on amastro today - yep, it's likely a PN; "only" likely since a confirmatory spectrum is still missing.
    As Uwe wrote already, the object could be held easily with averted vision in the 27", so I guess that a considerably smaller aperture (16"+) might do the job as well. Personally, I do not remember if the UHC or the [OIII] filter worked better on that one, but Uwe might know.

BTW Uwe - it's Kn 58 , not Kn 60; Kn 60 is this one: 07 00 06.7 +12 14 40 ...

CS,
    Matthias

I observed this object again last week and found it to be fairly easy,it was direct vision at 375X with the north lobe brighter. I tried the NPB filter at 488X and got a good response also tried OIII filter but it darked the field to much. Best view that night was with the NPB at 488X it really helped the South lobe of this nebula. I am sure that this is some kind of emission nebula or PN from the response that I had to the nebula filters.

Others should try for it I would like to hear reports on this object.
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM