Thread: Updated Version of MegaStar

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    You might be able to do that on Sky Safari, I believe it can take lists of objects and show them on the sky and show if they are up and easily viewed or on the horizon, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Preston Pendergraft View Post
    You might be able to do that on Sky Safari, I believe it can take lists of objects and show them on the sky and show if they are up and easily viewed or on the horizon, etc.
    I use Sky Safari on iphone & ipad. Yes, you can create custom list of objects and it does show for each item whether it's above or below the horizon. A pretty neat tool to use as a quick reference guide and for detailed info on each target.

BUT: It will not create a custom list that only shows the items you are interested in at the same time plotted and stretched in a flat image. rather, as you cycle through your custom observing list, it will swing to each target and you can zoom in and out and then move to the next target.

Do note that it has a major flaw which has kept me from using it on the field. Whereas you can switch to night mode in a nice dampened red background and all, every time you use the keyboard, for every button pressed, the usual color scheme of the idevice comes up (that silvery color) and then the software takes over in under a second to change it to red. Even a fraction of a second exposure to a backlit device with its normal color scheme may be sufficient to ruin part of your night vision.I just checked for this particular bug and it hasn't been ironed out yet.

I find that it may be very useful in outreach events as it is a great reference tool to help you toss in some information which may interest those who look through the eyepiece for the first time and want more details.
    Takahashi FS-128
    Astro-Physics Stowaway 92 (paid the deposit!)
    Sky-Watcher 72ED
    Borg 55FL