UGC 3274 (VV 161) AKA Abell 539

Orion

RA
    05 16 36

DEC
    +06 26 30

MAG 14.5

Type Galaxy chain

Most people are really surprised when I show them this striking chain of galaxies in Orion. Most do not think of galaxy hunting in Orion. I return to this chain every winter as its one of my favorite winter objects.

This image is from the VV catalog.
    ugc3274.jpg

UGC 3274 is in the rich Galaxy cluster Abell 539 so you can spend a lot of time here trying to catch the faint glows of the many galaxies in this cluster. How many can you catch?

DSS image
    UGC 3274 DSS.JPG

I was looking at this group last week and was taken by the view of the edge on galaxy UGC 3275 that is 10.6 Min North of the chain. This edge on really grows with averted vision, I was surprised at how long and extended it was.

ugc3275.jpg

Also 1.3 DEG back toward Ballatrax is the challenging chain of galaxies that is ARP 327 AKA Hickson 34. So the next time you are looking at the old familiar object in Orion be sure to try these galaxies and,

"GIVE IT A GO AND LET US KNOW"

GOOD LUCK AND GREAT VIEWING!
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

3 at or very near 15.6, a 'bright one' at 14.8 and MCG +1-14-12 at 16.1 with MCG +1-14-15 unknown in MegaStar. This will be a challenge in my 18" but I'll give it a go at meridian. Good transparency tester and contrast tester for my new 6 and 8mm Delos so I like this one. For me if the 15.6 cannot be seen then transparency is off some and if I can see 16.1 it is a nice night. I also see the thin UGC3275 up north that I bet is also a bit difficult in my gear.

I do have a soft spot for what I call 'pendulum' sets where there is an anchor (Ugc3274 in this case) and 3 or more galaxies along an arc (mostly North to WSW here).

Thanks, Marko
    Let me roam the deep skies and I'll be content.
    Mark Johnston
    18" StarMaster f/3.7
    12" Meade LightBridge f/5

After searching for galaxy chains I also trip up the central region of Abell 539. With 16" the chain could only be resolved into three peaks. For me also an highlight in the winter sky Jimi.
    Abell539.jpg
    16", 360x, NELM 6m5+, Seeing II

As chance would have it I tried also the chain HCG 34 last new moon with my 27". For me the group was much harder than I expected. Only with difficulties I could pick up component "d" (PGC 17173) as a stellar spot of light next to the also faint but slightly elongated "b" and "c".
    HCG34.jpg
    27", 586x, NELM 6m5+, Seeing III
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

Uwe that is impressive that you were able to see the 18.2 mag Hickson 34d. what power and eyepiece were you using?
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

That was a surprise for me too. I was using a 5mm Pentax XW which gave a magnification of 586x (AP 1,2mm). "HCG 34d" was visible with averted vision and I could not hold it steadily. But it pops in and out several times so that I was sure that I could pick it up.

In contrast to that I could not see "HCG 35f" which should have a similar brightness than HCG 34d. It also pops in and out but for me a doubtful observation so that I registered it as "not seen".
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2