Thread: Hello from Down Under

Hello from Down Under

Hi! My name is Malcolm. I live in country Victoria, about 2 hours west of Melbourne in Australia. Little town of about 10,000 called Colac.
    Pretty much a "lone observer" as there are no other observers that I know of here. I have a 12" GSO dob that I have recently upgraded with Argo Navis and a Moonlite focuser and have also upgraded by EP collection so I mainly have Ethoi now (10, 13, 17 and 21mm)
    I am currently running at about 550 observed objects, which should be higher but the climate here is not conducive to DSO observing, too close to the Southern Ocean!
    I am looking to upgrade, my scope and am having a hard time deciding which way to jump. Would love somthing around a 22" class, an Obsession ultra light would be nice but they are VERY expensive to ship over here. We do have a couple of excellent makers here, Peter Read of SDM makes probably the best big dobs around but the waiting list for his jobs are out to about 2 years!

Anyway, thats a bit about me.

Malcolm

Welcome to DSF Malcolm.
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

Malcolm,

Welcome to Deep Sky Forum. You'll find a wealth of information here in the forums . Keep us informed about your aperture upgrade.

Clear skies,

Mark
    Clear Skies,

Mark Friedman
    Wheaton, IL USA

Hi Malcolm,
    Welcome to DSF. You mention not knowing many down south observers or maybe I misread that. There is a fantastic board with many folks and Melborne is discussed frequenty on IceInSpace board. I go by 'astrospotter' on that board. Great group of folks on IceInSpace.
    Your barx sounds like I saw it a time or two on IceInspace but maybe not. Nice to hear from you on this board. You will find many great targets posted by a great group of observers on this board so welcome.
    Mark aka astrospotter
    Let me roam the deep skies and I'll be content.
    Mark Johnston
    18" StarMaster f/3.7
    12" Meade LightBridge f/5