Thread: Object of the Week December 2, 2012 NGC 1277( Small galaxy with a super size monster)

Object of the Week December 2, 2012 NGC 1277( Small galaxy with a super size monster)

NGC 1277

Perseus

RA
    03 19 51
    DEC
    +41 34 25

MAG 13.4 V

Type S0-Pec

This was announced this week from McDonald observatory, which is just a few miles from my house. Using the Hobby-Eberly telescope, University of Texas astronomers have found a massive black hole in NGC 1277. The black hole is 17 billion solar masses THATS B for billion. The black hole is 14% of the galaxies mass were most black holes are 1% of there host galaxies mass. This could be a new type of galaxy. Below is a link to press release from McDonald Observatory.

http://mcdonaldobservatory.org/news/...2012/1128.html

Hubble image
    NGC1277_Hubble.JPG

NGC 1277 was found by Lord Parsons on Dec 4, 1875 with the 72" reflector. I have put it on my observing list to revisit the next dark period. It will be fun to see this fairly bright galaxy now that it is know that there is a super size monster at its core. NGC 1277 is in the rich galaxy cluster Abell 426 (Perseus cluster) and there is lots to see in the area.

ngc 1277 dss.JPG ngc1277 sdss.jpg

Next time you're are out be sure to try NGC1277 and see if you can catch the lair of this monster in Perseus and,

"GIVE IT A GO AND LET US KNOW"

GOOD LUCK AND GREAT VIEWING!
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

This cluster is a favorite to many and 1277 is part of what I like to think of as a keystone thinning to the ENE direction that has one galaxy, Ngc1274, on it's wider base on the northern longer side of the main EW parallelogram which includes the other beast, Ngc1275 to the SE.

It is the season for this cluster once again and well worth the visit. Thanks for the reminder on this galaxy cluster and new info on the suspected nature of Ngc1277. Ngc1275 has been extensively studied as well and is quite an amazing galaxy as well.
    Let me roam the deep skies and I'll be content.
    Mark Johnston
    18" StarMaster f/3.7
    12" Meade LightBridge f/5