Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Your own telescope.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard B View Post
    Such a beautiful scope, and with an equatorial platform no less - you have a great setup Ben. I even like how you placed your midnight snack!
    Thank you! The platform is having some difficulties right now, it's lurching and stopping, and I can't seem to adjust the speed (to assist in a star-drift alignment), but I've emailed the maker and we'll see what happens. Haha, yep, I put it there for the "banana for scale" meme.
    14.5" f/5.2 TeleKit
    80mm f/6 Stellarvue Triplet

Well...this is my 12" f/5 GSO

dob12.jpg
    Last edited by Astrocanito; January 7th, 2021 at 09:02 PM.
    Tiago Ferreira
    12" f/5 GSO
    My Channel

Here are my two main instruments: the 16 inch Sumerian Alkaid that I use at home and move by car sometimes to France. And the 10 inch Alkaid imaged at the location where it feels most at home: on top of the Roque de los Muchachos in La Palma

16 inch.jpg

10 inch.jpg

BR, Martijn
    Martijn
    www.deepskysketch.com
    16" F/3.8 & 10" F/4.8 Sumerian Alkaid travel dob on EQ-platform / Omegon Argus 16 x 70 on Orion Paragon-plus / Swift Audubon 8,5 x 44 / Vixen SG 2.1 x 42

Wow, the photo of your 10-inch scope looks like it's right on the edge of cliff! Was it safer than it looks there?
    Howard
    30-inch f/2.7 alt-az Newtonian
    https://sites.google.com/site/howardbanichhomepage/
    https://sites.google.com/site/sprays...pemirrors/home
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Telescope magazine

Hi Howard, indeed it's on the edge of a cliff and although it is safer than it looks one has to be careful during the night... It's one of the few spots at that height where the floor is somewhat level and where a huge rock provides some shelter from the prevailing wind from the north, which can be fierce at times.
    Martijn
    www.deepskysketch.com
    16" F/3.8 & 10" F/4.8 Sumerian Alkaid travel dob on EQ-platform / Omegon Argus 16 x 70 on Orion Paragon-plus / Swift Audubon 8,5 x 44 / Vixen SG 2.1 x 42

Hi All,

Here is my enormous 25. The problem is that units are millimetres and not inches !!!
    Clear Skies
    Bertrand
    http://www.deepsky-drawings.com/

1miniborg601.jpg

Administrator/Co-Founder Dragan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudbuster View Post
    Here are my two main instruments: the 16 inch Sumerian Alkaid that I use at home and move by car sometimes to France. And the 10 inch Alkaid imaged at the location where it feels most at home: on top of the Roque de los Muchachos in La Palma

16 inch.jpg

10 inch.jpg

BR, Martijn
    Every year in January - not this January - I travel to Hawaii to observe with Dave Kriege and a 22" UC. That cliff shot looks similar to our view from atop Mauna Kea at dawn! Having that cloud deck beneath you is a great light pollution filter!
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    25" f/5 Obsession #610 "Toto"
    30" f/4.5 OMI EVO #1 "Tycho"
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

After being active on this forum for about 9 years, I finally found this thread today. Here's my 18" f/4.5 Obsession #701, first owned by John Tatarchuk. I'm its second owner. It rides on a Gregg Blandin equatorial platform. This is from Okie-Tex Star Party 2021, less than 2 weeks ago. The mess of wires is a prototype positioning system based on plate solving which I'm going to be talking about this week at the XIV Portland Alt-Az Workshop.

scope_at_OTSP2021.jpg
    18" f/4.5 Obsession dob "Romela"
    6" SkyQuest Orion dob
    Garrett Optical 25x100
    Homepage
    DSS Tool : Logbook Project : KStars
    The Astronomy Connection : Austin Astronomical Society : Bangalore Astronomical Society

Some really fine scopes congratulations to everyone fantastic kit

I finally put together a page detailing the why's and how's of transforming my 28-inch f/4 into a 30-inch f/2.7. there's also a link to the YouTube video of my presentation about this project that I gave at last October's Alt-Az Workshop, but you may find it faster to just read the page!

Howards30-inch_1.jpg
    Howard
    30-inch f/2.7 alt-az Newtonian
    https://sites.google.com/site/howardbanichhomepage/
    https://sites.google.com/site/sprays...pemirrors/home
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Telescope magazine