Thread: Filaments In M42/43

Filaments In M42/43

Hi all, Even though I joined this forum 8 years ago, this is my first post. I have gleaned a lot of info here while lurking in the background. I am posting this question here because I consider this forum to be the best of the deep sky observers. The main reason for the post has to do with the image of the Orion Nebula taken by the James Webb. There is a photo of the “Bar Region” and if you drill down through the photos, there is one showing filaments. These filaments look very much like the ones I have seen in the region near the Trap and leading over to M43 (Fish Mouth?). I have asked others about seeing these filaments in that region and I get blank stares, or they run away. I was wondering how common it is to see these filaments? I have seen these in Chris Fuld’s 41 and in my 22. Just curious.
    Bob

22 Obsession.
    Desire to go deep.

Hi Bob,

Do you mean these filaments?

OrionBar filaments.JPG
    Howard
    30-inch f/2.7 alt-az Newtonian
    https://sites.google.com/site/howardbanichhomepage/
    https://sites.google.com/site/sprays...pemirrors/home
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Telescope magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Howard B View Post
    Hi Bob,

Do you mean these filaments?

OrionBar filaments.JPG
    No, You need to get real tight down in the darker part. They look like a mesh of a Chinese handcuff. Reall strange configuration. They sort of appear to wrap around each other.
    Bob

They first showed up using a H-beta unintentionally. Chris and I did not believe we were seeing the structure and thought it may have been some kind of off axis reflection or something not thought of in his 41. We went over to my scope a 22, with a different eyepiece and my h-beta filter, there it was but much dimmer. It was one of those time you wish you had more witnesses.

Bob could you post a picture or a link to a picture of what you are talking about?

Also it would be helpful to give the RA and Dec of the object you are talking about.
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...is/ar-AA11PLy1 Look for the corkscrew like structures. Even though this is not the specific area, they look very similar. Center your chart RA 5h 35'35 ' Dec -5d 21' 17" J2K with about a 15' -20' field is the area Chris and I saw the filaments. They only showed up in H-Beta. Completely invisible otherwise. We were looking at the Bok Globules down in that canyon like area we when came across them. I am starting to think the dark canyon is more a foreground area covered in non-ionized dust. If the dark material were not there it might look similar to the area in the JWT photo. Later next week the moon will not illuminate Orion as much so I will pop in the H-Beta and look again. They should show up in your 48 with moderately good conditions. Don't be afraid to hit it with some magnification.
    Bob