Thread: Object of the Week December 16, 2012 NGC 2146 (The Dusty Hand Galaxy)

Object of the Week December 16, 2012 NGC 2146 (The Dusty Hand Galaxy)

NGC 2146 AKA Dusty Hand Galaxy

Camelopardalis

RA
    06 18 41
    DEC
    +78 21 27

Type SB-Pec-Starburst

Mag 11.38

NGC 2146 is a very peculiar galaxy that has had a close encounter with another galaxy and has star forming rates twice the rate of M82. It also is a loud radio source. It gets the name "Dusty Hand" from the skeleton hand looking dust lanes near the core of the galaxy. I have been able to see this hand on many nights over the years. I have seen it several times with my Old 25" reflector. Last year I remember an exceptional view of the dusty hand when Paul Alsing and Steve Gottlieb were here observing with me. The faint dust lanes were showing up really well that night. I wonder what is the smallest scope that can see this unusual feature? Have you seen it?

NGC 2146A is 18 arc minutes to the North East and some think that it is the galaxy that has perturbed NGC 2146 on a close fly by. Be sure to check it out when you are in the area.
    2146 A.JPG

The image below was taken by my good friend Tom Harrison who lives close to me. It is a very deep image of the Dusty Hand (NGC 2146) and shows some unusual features. If you will look at the 3 o'clock of the image you will see a bubble also you can see the umbrella like jet coming from the core of this disturbed galaxy.
    NGC 2146 Dusty Hand.jpg

Next time you are under a clear dark sky I hope you will remember NGC 2146 and see if you can see the Dusty Hand feature of this unusual galaxy and,

"GIVE IT A GO AND LET US KNOW"

GOOD LUCK AND GREAT VIEWING!
    Last edited by Jimi Lowrey; December 17th, 2012 at 08:40 PM.
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

On January 26, 2012 I observed this galaxy from the Visdende valley ( 1350 meters above sea level ), there was a lot of snow and the temperature was -14 ° C, ( 21.35 SQM ), at 135 X appears in a field full of stars, it seems a good size and three-quarter view, has a big halo and a large bulge clear but I do not see a nucleus. At 220 magnification is really great and I saw a core point and sometimes, in moments of better seeing, I noticed some light and dark areas inside the bulge, probably the famous skeleton hands.
    I would like to see her with a seeing better.
    Ciao.
    Massimo Vesnaver
    Udine, ITALY

18" Newton by NORTHEK

My travel notes:MIRA CAELESTIS

Jimi,

a typically forgotten object of mine, but I got it years ago. The dust lane is not only visible with CCD but also with 16" under good skies.

16", 180x-257x, NELM 6m5+
    NGC2146.jpg
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2