I was now going through my notes from last October, checking some identifications. Observing the core of Abell 2634 in Pegasus at 225x with my 16” from the Cherry Springs Dark Sky Park, I recorded:

To the SE of NGC 7720 is a faint star, and just beyond it, a small galaxy. Despite its size and relative difficulty, it is a nice sharp edge-on.

It is indicated on the attached DSS (archive.stsci.org).

Abell 2634 core DSS 10x10 Dressler 74 2MASSX marked.jpg

Astoundingly for something this attractive visually, this galaxy’s name on NED is 2MASX J23383626+2701467. No common professional catalog lists it - MCG, CGCG, UGC, or PGC - according to NED. I cannot check if it is in the extended 7-digit PGC, because the only ready reference I know for the extended version - Wikisky - mislabels it as NGC 7726. It was noted, however, as #74 in Abell 2634 in Dressler’s 1980 catalog of galaxies in 55 selected clusters. Since it is next to a Herschel NGC in the core of an Abell, I would also almost expect it to be in the Mitchell Anonymous Catalog, but have no means of readily checking it.

It is classified on NED as a group member and an S0. The magnitude and size are given as 15.85 and 0.54x0.29'. It is more extended visually according to my memory. The photographic magnitude is about right according to my visual perception. Light-travel time is 354 My, i.e. roughly consistent with membership in Abell 2634.