Thread: 2012 OOTW PDF by Alvin Huey

Administrator/Co-Founder Dragan's Avatar

2012 OOTW PDF by Alvin Huey

Hi everybody,

This week marks the 1 year anniversary of DeepSkyForum. To help celebrate, Alvin Huey has taken it upon himself to do something for us that is simply above and beyond. Alvin has taken the entire 2012 Object of the Week list and compiled them into one of his incredible and now famous Observing Guides.

In a format no different than his own personal OG's, he's given each object a wide-field finder view, a Telrad view and a DSS image. He's then added the comments by the original poster as well as any pertinent replies. Oh, and he's made it FREE for you to download!

The download can only be found here on his website, www.faintfuzzies.com. It is located about 1/2 way down the page under the header, Deep Sky Forum Observing Guides. The file is a PDF format and is approximately 12mb in size. At 140 pages and a wealth of information, it'll make a great field guide once printed and bound.

So there you go, a nice little gift given to you by one of our own. We can't thank Alvin enough!! Please check it out and maybe even give him a little feedback. He's put some hard work into this and I'm certain he'd love to hear from you!
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    25" f/5 Obsession #610 "Toto"
    30" f/4.5 OMI EVO #1 "Tycho"
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

Thanks to all of you for making Deep Sky Forum a great place to discuss Deep sky observing.

Thanks to Alvin for all your hard work making the 2012 OOTW observing guide.
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

Wow, what a treat! I've been meaning to go through all the OOTW and write up an observing list for those I haven't seen yet, so this is perfect - many thanks Alvin!
    Howard
    30-inch f/2.7 alt-az Newtonian
    https://sites.google.com/site/howardbanichhomepage/
    https://sites.google.com/site/sprays...pemirrors/home
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Telescope magazine

Alvin,

Your compilation of the 2012 OOTWs is awesome! I can't begin to thank you enough for the time and effort you've invested to produce this incredible resource and make it available at no cost to the observing community.

Another debt of gratitude must be extended to Dragan and Jimi for creating and giving us DeepSky Forum.

Now all I need are clear skies, warmer temperatures, and a heck less snow. Maybe soon?

-Mark
    Clear Skies,

Mark Friedman
    Wheaton, IL USA

Alvin,
    thank you very much for this great observing guide.
    Since years i use your published guides and i agree with Mark - i can not thank you enough for your work!
    Marc

I love Alvin's guides and the Deep Sky Forum guide is a great addition! Thank you.
    Al Smith
    Santa Cruz, CA

Alvin, this is a fantastic ressource!

I had printed out already several of those OOTWs for a first observation or a deeper re-observation. It is good to have this all together now in one piece. Observing all of them makes for a challenging but surely very interesting year-round observing project.
    Reiner

22" and 14" Dobs on EQ platforms and Deep Sky Observing
    www.reinervogel.net

Thanks everyone - I'm glad that you found this resource to be valuable under the stars.

Those who enjoy my observing guides also would like Reiner's observing guides. Our material compliments each other and is very similar in style. Best used at the eyepiece. So if you haven't seen it...here it is.

http://www.reinervogel.net/index_e.html

Go check it out. The links are on the left margin. Like many of you who downloaded my material, I've downloaded ALL of his and use them at the eyepiece.

Sorry I digressed from the original intent, but needed to give Reiner a shout out as well.
    Clear skies,
    Alvin #26
    faintfuzzies.com

To both of you guys, a huge Thanks!!!!!!!
    The Darker the Better!
    -------------------------
    18" f4.5 Obsession Classic #1934
    10" f5 Skyatcher Dob
    152mm f5.9 Teleskop Service
    Takahashi FS128
    SkyWatcher 120 f5
    Takahashi FS102
    Takahashi FSQ106N
    SkyWatcher ED80 Pro
    SkyWatcher ED72 Evostar
    Televue Naglers and Ethos