Thread: Object of the Week February 17, 2013--- IRAS 09371+1212 [Frosty Leo Nebula]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Object of the Week February 17, 2013--- IRAS 09371+1212 [Frosty Leo Nebula]

IRAS 09371+1212 Frosty Leo Nebula

LEO

RA
    09 39 53
    DEC
    +11 58 52

MAG 11 V

Type Proto PN

This bright Proto PN can be seen in most telescopes I have seen reports of it being observed in 6" and 8" scopes. It is a very unique object and was found by the IRAS survey as a very cold object in the far IR. It first appeared in the journals in 1985. In 1987 Forvelle found it to have H2O ice crystals in the nebula from the spectrum. He is the one who suggested the name Frosty Leo nebula for its being cold in far IR and for the H2O Ice crystals.

Hubble Image
    Frost Leo Hubble.jpg

I have observed this peculiar nebula many times over the years with my old 25" and my 48" telescopes. I like to show it to people because its one of the few deep sky objects that show color well. It has a ruddy orange color to my eye that shows well. Be sure to use as high a power as the seeing will allow on this object to show its fine detail and color. It has a peanut shape in the eyepiece and a faint anse on each end on nights with good seeing. At low power it looks like a fuzzy elongated star to me. The images below look close to how it looks in the 48"and is close to the color that I see.

frost leo 1.jpg Frosty leo dss.jpg

Let me know if you see the color in this unique icy nebula and ,

"GIVE IT A GO AND LET US KNOW"

GOOD LUCK AND GREAT VIEWING!
    Last edited by Jimi Lowrey; February 18th, 2013 at 04:22 AM.
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM