Thread: Object of the Week February 24, 2013--- NGC 2163

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi all,

there was the question about what we actually observe: a) the molecular outflow or b) the illuminated inner side of a cone cleared by the outflow in the surrounding molecular cloud. I had always thought it is the latter one, but I did not find the papers where I read this. If I recall it correctly it was from a PhD thesis or a talk by a professional published on the web.

I have also tried to contact a professional astronomer who worked on YSOs. I have also scanned several papers on that but the professionals do not appear to address this question, at least not if it comes to continuous optical emission (outflow is usually studied in emission lines). Now I found one paper that addresses this at least for PV Cephei. The paper by Boyd is here (and it is interesting anyways as it is about the recent variability (for us: visibility :-) ) of Gyulbudaghian's Nebula)

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2012SASS...31...65B

Boyd says:
    "Light from PV Cephei shining on the inside of
    the cavity in the surrounding molecular cloud cleared
    by the northern outflow creates the variable reflection
    nebulosity variously known as RNO125, GM29 or
    Gyulbudaghian’s Nebula.
    "

So Gyulbudaghian's Nebula is not exactly Ced 62, but on the other hand, it is not too different. Similar as Howard, I have not found anything in that regard for Ced 62.

As outflow, molecular cloud, jets, and associated Herbig-Haro objects are often confused, I thought it might be good if we find out what we actually observe. If anybody finds further information on this, it would be great to learn about it.

I'll keep you updated if I get a response from the professional astronomer.

PS: I found another interesting site about what we actually see for another YSO, R Mon and Hubble's Variable Nebula by Chris Brown. See here.
    Last edited by reiner; April 4th, 2013 at 01:13 PM.
    Reiner

22" and 14" Dobs on EQ platforms and Deep Sky Observing
    www.reinervogel.net