Thread: Leo Triplet plus one

Leo Triplet plus one

I noticed that near NGC 3628 which is near M65 and 66 on Skysafari Pro that there is a very faint galaxy IC 2729 right by it and in between all the other 2 galaxies. It is listed as 15.39 mag and I suspect it might be outa range of my 18 but wondering if it's doable any ways or if anyone has picked it out. Thanks

Well, Darren, mag 15.39 is unlikely to be a problem with 18" under dark skies.

However the galaxy at the location I believe you are describing (11h20m06.8s, +13d24m33s), while it is indeed called IC 2729 by NED, is listed in that database as having magnitude 17.4g. Most likely it is out of reach of an 18". It has only a "long" PGC number (taken from Wikisky): 1430330. NED gives its light-travel time as 1 billion years and this is how it looks on survey images.

Wikisky thinks, however, that IC 2729 is synonymous with IC 2720 to the S of the Triplet. It is a much more accessible-looking galaxy. Its PGC number is 34662 and NED gives for it magnitude 15.2g, which is more in line with the magnitude you are quoting. It is at 11h19m35.6s +12d04m36s, well outside and to the S of the Triplet triangle.

I have not observed either. Good luck with your observation - and if you go for the one which is one billion light-years distant, you will need lots of it.
    Ivan
    20" Sky-Watcher
    deepskyblog.net

HI Darren,

What a nice challenge object between the triplet!

Using the SDSS photometry IC 2729 is approximately 16.97V Mag and the near by IC 2725 is approximately 16.0 V Mag.

I have seen lots of 17.0 V mag galaxies in 18" class reflectors from true dark sites out West. So go for it!
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

The correct identification of IC 2729 (discovered photographically by Max Wolf) is in doubt -- but Wikisky is certainly in error equating it with IC 2720. Here are Harold Corwin's comments regarding IC 2729. It's his identifications (even the uncertain ones), by the way, that are used in NED.

IC 2726, IC 2728, and IC 2729. None of these are visible on the print of Wolf's original plate, though the positions of the latter two are covered with obvious plate defects. It's possible that these are actually the stars (IC 2726 and IC 2728) and the galaxy (IC 2729) that Wolfgang and I have picked up and included in the main table, but the objects are further from Wolf's nominal positions than is usual for him. Also, his marks have been erased from this plate.

So, without being able to confirm the objects, I'm somewhat reluctant to make solid identifications. Thus, the colons and question marks.
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel

Steve,

Who gave the coordinates to NED for the galaxy that it has for IC 2729?

I do not understand Harold Corwin's notes? what is he saying that they are stars.
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM