Thread: South Pacific Star Party.

South Pacific Star Party.

I am going to the South Pacific Star Party ten days from now with an 18 inch Obsession classic and a 30 inch f 4.5 Obsession clone. The event is run by the Astronomical Society of New South Wales on it's 100 acre site at an altitude of 3,300 feet and 130 miles west of Sydney Australia. SQM readings match those of the Texas Star Party when I went there in 2002. This time of year the LMC is still high enough to observe well for several hours, which is handy as there are over 300 deep sky objects in it - globulars, emission nebula etc. Other prime targets include the Vela supernova remnant, Carina, with Eta as a prime target, Centaurus galaxy sluster, NGC 5128 and 4945, of course omega, and globulars in Opiuchus and Saggitarius which get to the meridian by dawn. We can take up where we left off at Ozsky, Coonabarabran over march new moon.

I hope you get clear skies Tony. I'm going away on the same weekend with 20 other Astronomical Society of South Australia members to Alpana Station, in the Flinders Ranges (-31:08 Lat, 138:41 E Long). I'll be using my newly completed 16" F4.5 GoTo Dob. Telescope by Alan Brinkworth; mirror by Mark Sutching. Beautiful instrument.

I've made up observing guides for the Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. If you want a copy, let me know.

Thanks Joe - I would appreciate the observing guides for next time. We are taking an Obsession 25 instead of the 18 inch to supplement the 30 inch, and a French PHD student. We had two German amateurs there some years ago and their first question was to ask what those two funny clouds in the south were.I know all about Mark's mirrors - his 16 would likely out perform a 25 by many other makers.

Friday and saturday nights at the South Pacific Star Party were both clear, with SQM readings averaging 21.62, compared to 21.72 at Coonabarabran two months ago, but still very acceptable. Mark Suchting was there with 12 inch f 5 binoculars - remarkably compact scope. Darkest SQM readings I ever recorded were between Sturt's Stoney desert and the Flinders Ranges but then the pub at Cameron Corner 800km north, and Arkaroola resort 200 km south were not exactly bright.

Hi Tony, I'll forward you the guides. Our camp weather was very similar to yours. Friday night was clear. SQM 21.65. Saturday night, we experienced some broken cloud; but to enough to bother us. SQM readings ranged from 21.8 in the early evening; I had a report of 22.01 at 12.30am.

We had 2 x 18" Go-To Dobs and my 16" Go-To Dob and a 16" GSO Dob plus various other smaller scopes. Both mine and one of the 18" have Mark Sutching mirrors. Spendid performance. We went to the pub for dinner on Sunday night; when we emerged at 7.45pm the sky was perfectly clear. However, within an hour we had all but abandoned viewing when clouds come in.

Observing highlights were the Homonculus in Eta Carinae, a number of flat galaxies in Bootes, Coma, Virgo and Centaurus. Having northern objects about 5 degrees higher than when in Adelaide, we took the opportunity to observe objects in Lynx and Canes Venateci.

Must get to the northern hemisphere sometime soon to get a good look at their showpieces.

Joe - I had a 20 inch Obsession at Ayers Rock about 12 years ago and from there you can see all but one star in Ursa Major. i got a great view of M 51 up high enough to see very well. So while waiting for that trip to the northern hemisphere put your 16 in your car and head in the general direction of Alice Springs, and if in the mood keep going. Compared to me you are half way there.
    i got great views of northern stuff from just south of Darwin - in fact you don't miss much from that latitude, check your charts and see.