Thread: New PN ? KN J1814-3955

New PN ? KN J1814-3955

Two nights ago I had a positive observation of KN J1814-3955. I am not sure if it has been confirmed to be a PN or not.

Corona Australis

PN ?

RA
    18 14 11
    DEC
    -39 55 23

I found the field pretty easy at 375X the object looked like a fuzzy star. I bumped up the power to 488X and had the same view just larger. I then put on a NPB filter and went back to 375X and to my surprise got a good response to the filter the object had doubled in size and looked to be a small round diffuse direct vision glow. It was a easy observation and I would think it could be seen in much smaller aperture.

I will draw the field soon and post my sketch.

Thanks for the heads up on this cool object Uwe.

KN J1814-3955.jpg
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

Congrats for the first light Jimi - good job!
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

Hi Jimi,

thanks for letting us know about the positive observation of this object; and congratulations also from my side for your first known visual sighting!

I tried this one in March during my four-nights stay at Atacama Lodge in Chile with 18" and 24" and [OIII]. With 18", there was nothing to see at all magnifications. With 24", an extremely faint brightening may have been visible at the position of the PN, but the view was too unsteady to call it an observation. I did not try the UHC-filter on this one, which, in retrospective, may have been an mistake. Also, the observation took place at 6 a.m. in the morning after a full night of observing which also might not have been beneficial ......

Concerning its status - it has not been confirmed _yet_ (hence the preliminary ID), although from the appearance on the DSS alone (disc + faint blue central star) it is very likely a PN. I hope to be able to tell more about the object in autumn as observations of this and other southern PN candidates at LCO are pending.

Did you find some other potential PN candidates recently on SDSS, BTW? We've got telescope time also at KPNO in June ...

cheers,
    Matthias

Early this AM Erika Rix and I were able to see this new PN candidate @ 813 X under excellent conditions here in West Texas. I tried a O III filter but it did not help it much. The best view was with the NPB filter, it really lights up this little object. Erica did a quick drawing at the eyepiece and I will post it later.
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

Here is Erika Rix's field drawing of this new PN suspect. I must say that it is a perfect match as to what I was seeing at the eyepiece.

KN J1814-3955. Ericka Drawing.jpg
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM