Thread: Observing Hoods

Administrator/Co-Founder Dragan's Avatar

Observing Hoods

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to inform the group that we now have the new standalone Observing Hood available for purchase on our sister site.

The Observing Hood is the same hood that is on our Observing Vest. It comes with 3 snaps to help with sizing. The hood should fit neck sizes from approximately 17-21 inches.

You can check it out here at http://www.darkskiesapparel.com/observinghoods.html

The Observing Hood retails for $34.99.

Thanks for looking!
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    25" f/5 Obsession #610 "Toto"
    30" f/4.5 OMI EVO #1 "Tycho"
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

Cool

image.jpgimage.jpg
    Dear Dragan,
    I can attest the utility (see attached photos taken Thursday afternoon, May 9, 2013) of the new Observing Hoods especially for Solar observing. Jon Joseph and I both purchased one at TSP 2013 as soon as we spied them! Our new friend Jim McClure wanted to know if we were members of the "order" or just "extra-ordinary". 😄

P.S. That's Jon at my SV90TBV with a single stacked LS50Halpha front etalon and B1200 blocking filter on the new HalfHitch Telescope "Nova Hitch" AltAz mount. Oh! And a pair of Denk21s in the Binotron-27 binoviewer.
    Robert Werkman
    Last edited by Gastronaut; June 12th, 2013 at 12:57 AM.

Great to hear Robert! I truly appreciate the kind words. You are definitely members of the "order"!

Jon and I spent quite a bit of time together at our booth at this years TSP. We did just see each other at NEAF a month before but its always good to catch up. We're hoping we have Jon's ear on a little "idea" we passed along to him. Stay tuned!

Please be sure to say hello for me next time you see him!

IMG_20130509_163404_186 (Large).JPG
    Jon, myself & Jimi at TSP 2013
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

My backyard viewing pier is located about 15 miles north of Phoenix. The view was improved by putting my cap visor over the eyepiece. When I saw the observing hood in Sky & Telescope I knew that it was going to be the answer to any stray light problems. But wait, for a few dollars more I could have a vest and hood, the order arrived as expected and the medium size fit perfectly. It feels good and looks like I should be in a vampire movie when the hood folded back, pretty cool. Stray light is blocked during all my tests and my eyepieces and glasses fit nicely in the vest.
    Now that I am all dressed up, and no place to go because of the rain, I will have to report on how the vest works under the sky
    Albert

Two thumbs up on the black observing hood!

I recently purchased a Dark Skies Apparel black observing hood and used it for the first time this week. I live under the suburban Los Angeles light dome, and have to deal with some light trespass as well. The hood shields my eyes from stray white light and creates a darker environment at the eyepiece. I need every edge I can get, so I may go out and buy a black eye patch as well.

Eric

My hooded vest saw first light last night, or rather no light. Its a winner. The monk hood worked great as did the numerous big pockets.

Russ

The only thing I asked for last xmas was one of your observing hoods and getting it has been an enabling factor for my observing. From my white zone driveway in Dallas there's almost no observing without it beyond Luna and planets whereas with it many rewarding targets are revealed including more detail in those previously seen. At our club's southern Oklahoma dark site, the hood enriches some really fine sessions. I missed packing it on a recent trip to the dark site and the difference in the Virgo and Coma Berenices galaxies' detail was dramatic: less detail presented in individual galaxies with fewer present in the rich fields. Thank you for a wonderful product!

From the bottom of our hearts, thank you Havasman! We're truly honored to hear your kind words!

Quote Originally Posted by havasman View Post
    The only thing I asked for last xmas was one of your observing hoods and getting it has been an enabling factor for my observing. From my white zone driveway in Dallas there's almost no observing without it beyond Luna and planets whereas with it many rewarding targets are revealed including more detail in those previously seen. At our club's southern Oklahoma dark site, the hood enriches some really fine sessions. I missed packing it on a recent trip to the dark site and the difference in the Virgo and Coma Berenices galaxies' detail was dramatic: less detail presented in individual galaxies with fewer present in the rich fields. Thank you for a wonderful product!
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    www.darkskiesapparel.com