I had a couple of good looks at Hickson 84 at the GSSP a couple weeks ago, here are my notes and sketch:

"Tough object but lots of fun to observe. This is a tight galaxy group that took 695x to blow up large enough to see well, plus a good amount of observing time to see everything I can. The dark background at 695 and fov framed the group perfectly. 21.60 SQM."

"Continuing my observations from last night, I was able to definitely see two of the three 17th magnitude galaxies I missed last night. The third one is a "maybe" because I had a couple of hints of a faint spot in the right location but not enough to be sure. 408x, 695x, 21.60 SQM."

Hickson 84.jpg Hickson 84_invert.jpg

The biggest challenge for me was placing as many of the bright foreground stars out of the fov as possible, and I couldn't get them all out because the cluster is surrounded by them. Seeing was fairly soft during both observations and I couldn't see the E galaxy, but this will be another good one to observe again, hopefully in steadier seeing, at the OSP next month.