Thread: Digital setting circles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bearkite View Post
    It's never too late.

You're the customer and the customer's ALWAYS right.

As this is a long-term commitment, take your time and buy what fits best. Think about how/where you're going to install that head unit. How it's going to change your balance and how you'll deal with that (the Argo head is the biggest and heaviest of the bunch). Have you looked in to powering the unit? I know it'll run on internal batteries. But, if you want to take advantage of the display heater, you have to be on external 12VDC to make that happen.

Just a couple of things to think about...
    Thanks. Yes, I am giving it a lot of thought, not least about the clearance between the lowest point of the mirror box and the azimuth bolt where the az encoder will go. I think I am going to have to make some alterations because there is only 1.5 cm (0.59") clearance so an encoder won't fit unless I cut a piece from the mirror box although, looking at it, that won't take long and won't make a difference to the box itself.
    It's also going to cost a lot of money to buy and fit this thing, so I want to know I'll be able to do it before committing myself.
    18" f/4.3 David Lukehurst Dob
    8" f/6 Dark Star Dob
    8x42 binoculars
    100% visual observing

Visual Observing - FJ Astronomy

Quote Originally Posted by FaithJ View Post
    I think I am going to have to make some alterations because there is only 1.5 cm (0.59") clearance
    That clearance is from the top of your azimuth bolt to the bottom of your mirror box? If so, all I have to say is wow... That's tight.

You mentioned cutting your mirror box... Before you do that reach out to your scope's builder and make sure he hasn't already built in allowances for installing encoders. I see that David offers DSC's as an option (see http://www.dobsonians.co.uk/Options.html ) and am betting he already has an Astrosystems Pivot Bolt installed (see http://www.astrosystems.biz/pivot.htm ). To be sure you don't have an issue, buy your encoders from your builder to be sure you get something that's already been tested and used. It doesn't matter which encoder you use. All DSC's work with all encoders. You just need to know the resolution of the encoders you install.

There may be a difference in cables. But am thinking even that has become standardized. That thought coming from some responses I've gotten from the Nexus folks. They've told me that my current (Sky Commander) encoder harness will plug right in to their box and work. The club member I mentioned that just installed Nexus on his scope was an Argo user. He didn't have to change cables either. So that leads me to believe they're all interchangeable.
    Lou Behrman
    Ambler, PA

17.5" f/4.1 AstroSystems TeleKit -- "Ursa"
    Zambuto Optics
    6" f/6.5 Antares Achromat