Thread: Digital setting circles

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Digital setting circles

Does anyone here use digital setting circles? I've been considering a set of Argo Navis DSCs or similar for a while and putting off actually getting some but, after a frustrating session last night when I found only about 50% of what I set out to observe, I have decided to definitely get some, which means any observing trips before next spring are not going to happen now. I am sick of spending more time hunting for stuff than observing it, I've done that for 21 years now and it's got old.

I have a potential problem in that the clearance between my mirror box and the azimuth bolt isn't large enough, so I am going to have to make some alterations to accommodate the azimuth encoder, but I doubt that this is an insurmountable problem.

A question for those with DSCs, either Argo Navis, Sky Commander or any other make - how easy were these to install and use? Specifically the encoders going into a tight place? I am guessing that, apart from the computer itself, the fittings are pretty much the same?
    Last edited by FaithJ; August 4th, 2013 at 03:20 PM.
    18" f/4.3 David Lukehurst Dob
    8" f/6 Dark Star Dob
    8x42 binoculars
    100% visual observing

Visual Observing - FJ Astronomy