Thread: wireless control of scope with laptop

Depends on time of year. Mostly central FL, central IL/WI

wireless control of scope with laptop

New to this forum, but looking for information on controlling my 15" Obsession with Argo Navis and servocat. I would like information on using my laptop with Starry Night or Astro Planner using a wireless connection to the Argo Navis. Any help would be appreciated.

Have you considered SkyFi setup using Sky Safari software? SkyFi controller plugs into the ServoCat and Sky Safari works on iPad, iPhone or laptops w/Mac OS. Check at carbon12astro.com or Southern Stars. southernstars.com Sky Safari lets you build your own observing lists and there are many lists shared by other observers on the Yahoo Group. Just an option for you.

SkyFi also works on Windows machines and with other software. Orion sells a version of the SkyFi, relabeled as the StarSeek. Same box except for the label.

The idea of controlling my scope via a wireless connection has been on my mind for a few years now.

I have the same basic setup that you have. A 17.5" Dob with ServoCat and DSCs (I have Sky Commander instead of Argo but that really doesn't matter). The other difference is I use SkyTools 3 instead of the programs you mentioned. But again, it doesn't really matter because the basic communications concepts are still the same. I bought into the wireless package (WL-USB) that Gary Meyers was selling but was never able to really make it work. The range was too limited and needed unhindered line-of-site between nodes. Am not going to go into great detail as it's been well over a year since I was testing this and don't really remember all that went on. Just got really frustrated trying to make it work. I think that setup was intended for an observatory where you have clean flat floors instead of mobile observing where the ground is uneven and you're (quite often) dealing with grass.

Am familiar with the SkiFi product. Never seen it in action but after reading the product description it seems to be an option. I know it is designed to work with their Sky Safari app natively (Apple iOS, MAC, and Android). But appears to be able to work with third party programs as well. Will have to jump through some hoops with virtual serial port drivers.

A new option, one I'm seriously considering, is the Nexus DSCs from Astrodevices ( http://www.astrodevices.com/products/Nexus/Nexus.html ). In their product description "Advanced wireless multifunctional telescope adapter". Which means it provides wireless connectivity along with being a DSC. A club member of mine has bought this and is currently using it in conjunction with his Argo and ServoCat to drive his 18" dob from his laptop (he also uses SkyTools 3). If I buy it, I will use it to replace my Sky Commander. I like the idea of permanently installing my DSCs within my rocker box and eliminating some more light from my observing environment. All depends on how Fred makes out with his unit. Like the SkiFi, the Nexus is designed to operate natively with AstroDevices Deep Sky Browser (an iOS app for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch). And also like SkiFi, with virtual serial port drivers it can be made to communicate with third party astronomy programs (see http://www.astrodevices.com/Links/Links.html for a list of compatible software). NOTE: I happen to know that SkyTools 3 works with the Nexus. It's not on the list. I suspect it just hasn't been tested.

Hope this is enough to get you started...
    Last edited by bearkite; August 30th, 2013 at 02:59 PM.
    Lou Behrman
    Ambler, PA

17.5" f/4.1 AstroSystems TeleKit -- "Ursa"
    Zambuto Optics
    6" f/6.5 Antares Achromat

And one additional note on the Nexus...

If you already have DSCs installed. Your existing encoder harness is more than likely going to work (as is) with the Nexus.

At least this is true if you currently are using either Sky Commander or Argo Navis. No idea if this is true if you're using TeleVue or JMI DSCs.
    Last edited by bearkite; August 30th, 2013 at 03:20 PM.
    Lou Behrman
    Ambler, PA

Zambuto Optics

Administrator/Co-Founder Dragan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargeezer View Post
    New to this forum, but looking for information on controlling my 15" Obsession with Argo Navis and servocat. I would like information on using my laptop with Starry Night or Astro Planner using a wireless connection to the Argo Navis. Any help would be appreciated.
    Welcome to DSF! I hope you enjoy it here!!

I have AN/SC on my 25" and use Gary Myers wireless USB system. One rx/tx is permanently mounted in the scope and the other is mounted inside my trailer. Allows me to control the telescope wirelessly from my trailer laptop running Megastar. Quite simple actually.

Both so work off of 12v. If interested, I can supply pics if needed.

I've copied and pasted his description:

WL-USB
    Connect your PC wirelessly to the ServoCAT!
    Works for planetarium, updates or upgrading!
    Complete with 12V DC adapters for both ends and one AC adapter.
    Only $119. ($10)

Here's the page:
    http://www.stellarcat.com/Pages/pricing.html
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    25" f/5 Obsession #610 "Toto"
    30" f/4.5 OMI EVO #1 "Tycho"
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

Sounds like the way to go and the price is right. I would love to see pics of how you mounted this to your scope, Dragon.
    Last edited by Stargeezer; September 1st, 2013 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stargeezer View Post
    Sounds like the way to go and the price is right. I would love to see pics of how you mounted this to your scope, Dragon.
    Hey Wayne,

I'd be happy to. Give me a day to find my install pictures and I'll get them uploaded. If I can't find them, I'll have to shoot a couple new pics. Either way, I'll get them to you.
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

Wayne,

Here are a couple pics I had from the day I installed the system. There are two identical devices. One goes into the scope and is plugged into the SC. The other is attached to the computer you intend to use.

In the trailer its plugged into a deep cycle battery using your standard cigarette lighter plug, as is my laptop. At the scope, its plugged into the power rail you see in the picture.

It works flawlessly for me.

IMG_5353 (Large).jpg

IMG_5354.jpg

Hope this helps some!
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

Dragan,

The devices in your photos are not the Wireless USB that Gary sells now. What you have is Connex Link wireless serial radios. They work extremely well, but they also cost a lot more than $119.
    The Wireless USB has a much more limited range. For it to be reliable, the laptop needs to be close to the scope, say not over 10'-12' away, and 12' is probably pushing it.

Put it this way: the Connex Link is the Cadillac, the SkyFi is the Chevy, the Wireless USB is the Yugo, and the relative pricing varies similarly.

Jim

Yep... I was going to say, that's not what I got when I bought my WL-USB.

The problem I saw with that rig is two-fold. Range is one. As Jim said, about ten-twelve feet. But (probably) more important is an unimpeded line-of-site. If anything of a conductive nature (mirror, human leg, wet grass, dry grass...) got between the two nodes, communication was severed and had to be reestablished. Am not sure what radio protocol was being employed. I do know it wasn't an 802.11 or Bluetooth. The idea behind that setup was to allow you to wirelessly connect a USB device to your computer. And since I have a Gen2 Servocat that meant I was connecting a USB/Serial adapter (Keyspan) via that wireless connection. those of you with newer Gen3 'Cats with the built-in USB port may have better success. But I suspect the line-of-site thing will still be an issue.

Like I said... Perhaps in an observatory environment. Not a mobile one.
    Lou Behrman
    Ambler, PA

Zambuto Optics

Quote Originally Posted by bearkite View Post
    Yep... I was going to say, that's not what I got when I bought my WL-USB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chandler View Post
    Dragan,

The devices in your photos are not the Wireless USB that Gary sells now. What you have is Connex Link wireless serial radios. They work extremely well, but they also cost a lot more than $119.
    The Wireless USB has a much more limited range. For it to be reliable, the laptop needs to be close to the scope, say not over 10'-12' away, and 12' is probably pushing it.

Put it this way: the Connex Link is the Cadillac, the SkyFi is the Chevy, the Wireless USB is the Yugo, and the relative pricing varies similarly.

Jim
    Wow. Sorry everyone. I assumed that what Gary was selling today was the same thing he was selling 5-6years ago. I did think the current price was lower than what I had paid but since some time had passed, I wasn't sure.

Thanks for clarifying. I would have felt awful if Wayne purchased the wrong device off of my recommendation.

Is the ConnexLink still available? Maybe not from Gary but another source? Amazon?
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

My experience with the WL-USB was with a Gen 3 ServoCat, and it had the same problems with interference that Lou describes. The line-of-sight-thing was definitely still an issue. My fix for that scope was to acquire a SkiFi.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragan View Post
    Is the ConnexLink still available? Maybe not from Gary but another source? Amazon?
    After a quick Google search, this is what I found.

http://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/pa...nnexlink/13042

Best I can gather is that its the first one that Gary use to sell.

http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...-SP&vendor=776

Jim, can you verify?
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

Hey Dragan
    I got one from him last year to match the other two I have. He had to order it but I didn't care. I have used them since 2005 and they work really, really well as you and Jim know. I once ran my scope over a hundred feet away with them. You just had to be there to know why

Michael Sowell,
    Panama City Fl.
    Obsession 25 F/5,
    TT 18 F/5.6 Custom

www.darkskiesapparel.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dragan View Post
    After a quick Google search, this is what I found.

http://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/pa...nnexlink/13042

Best I can gather is that its the first one that Gary use to sell.

http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...-SP&vendor=776

Jim, can you verify?
    Yes, the CL 4490-1000-232 is the one. They're available singly as well as in pairs, so I would get verification that that link is really for a pair, as shown in the picture.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sowell View Post
    I once ran my scope over a hundred feet away with them. You just had to be there to know why
    Okay...

I'll bite...

Why were you running your scope from over a hundred feet away?
    Lou Behrman
    Ambler, PA

Zambuto Optics

thanks for the photos. I understand it now. When I went to their web site they listed it but on the order form it is crossed out. Will have to contact them in person. Thanks again Dragon.