NGC 7250
    Lacerta
    Position
    RA 22 18 17.8
    DEC +40 33’ 45”

Size: 1.7’ x 0.8’
    Mag: 12.6 (V)

Type: Starburst Galaxy / Possible Double Galaxy

The recent supernova SN 2013DY in Lacerta was one of the highlights of this past summer, but not for its own merit: Rather, it was the reason for “discovering” NGC 7250, a little known gem of a galaxy in the usually neglected constellation of Lacerta, the Lizard. Lacerta culminates during fall evenings, so now it’s the ideal time to observe NGC 7250.

This little galaxy sits just to the north of the middle star of a distinctive asterism (made of 10th and 11th magnitude stars) shaped like a bent arrow, making it a snap to identify the correct field. I first observed NGC7250 (when I heard of SN2013DY) on July 29th, 2013, from a rural site (SQM averaging 20.9 at the zenith) with my 6” achromatic refractor. Although some observing reports I had read described NGC7250 as “very faint” in 10” instruments, both the supernova AND the galaxy were readily visible in my 6” refractor, provided I used rather high power (129X was ideal). The galaxy was distinctly lens shaped with a steady brightness profile, but at the time it was a bit overwhelmed by the light of the 11th magnitude supernova on one side and of the 11th magnitude field star on its other side.

2013dy1A.jpg

The tiny galaxy seemed like an ideal candidate target for my 18” dob, and I re-observed it on August 8, 2013, from a much darker mountain locality with the lightbucket. Using a power of 276x I logged a distinctly elongated 3:1 shape for the galaxy, with a brighter core area that was even more elongated (4:1) than the outer halo. What piqued my interest though was that this inner, brighter area seemed “split”, especially with averted vision. It sort of reminded me of a tiny “M82” contained within the halo of NGC7250. After finishing the observation, while driving back, I kept thinking whether this split was real, or whether my mind was playing games – could it be that the light of the nearby supernova was creating contrast effects?

7250a1.jpg

The next day, I found out that what I was seeing was real. Not only that, but actually the second brightening to the north of the nucleus is actually further split in three sections! In addition, there is a debate about what this collection of bright knots might be. The only piece of information that seemed to be available on the web is Courtney Seligman’s website (http://cseligman.com/text/atlas/ngc72a.htm) which mentions that this group of (at least!) three bluish bright knots are listed as the galaxy PGC 214816 in LEDA catalogs but he doubts about their galactic nature! I have also located a report where the author considers this “cosmic mess” as he calls it the result of a galaxy merger (http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthre...warf-galaxies&). Amazingly, this galaxy was not listed by Arp in his famous catalog of Peculiar Galaxies, nor has it ever received (it seems) any distinct fame in the amateur astronomer circles! I have found very few observational reports for this galaxy, which is surprising as the second brightening is distinctly visible (but not split in three parts) in DSS photographs. The only report that mentions an observation of the second brightening was by Steve Gottlieb in his NGC Observations, made with his 17.5” dob.

ngc7250a1.jpg7250dss_search.jpg

Needless to say, I impatiently waited for another observing opportunity. Now that I knew that the second brightening was real, I wanted to examine it as much as I could. On September 5, I was again at my usual mountain site with quite steady conditions, which allowed me to push the magnification of my 18” dob to 552X. I could hold steady the second brightening with direct vision, and I could detect that it seemed triangular, but I was unable to further split it in three sections. The dimming of the supernova certainly helped my observation. The galaxy has quite a high surface brightness, so it can take magnification well. After my last observing session, I thought that I should check the galaxy with OIII or H-beta filters. Maybe the brightening could be extensive hydrogen clouds with star-forming regions. Seems far-fetched, but who knows?

7250b1a.jpg

So, NGC7250 can give us a nice set of challenges: What is the smallest aperture through which this galaxy can be seen? It was not hard in my 6” on a good night, and I think that it might be detected even with 4”. What is the minimum aperture and magnification required to “split” the galaxy and get that “M82 within galaxy halo” effect?What are the prerequisites for splitting “PGC 214816” into the three knots? Magnification, steadiness of seeing, or transparency? Does this “second brightening / “galaxy” respond to nebula filters? And, of course, there are the astrophysical questions: Are these really two superimposed galaxies? Are we watching the merger of two galaxies? Or, are the second group of knots mere starburst regions within NGC 7250?
    I know for sure that I will be soon returning to NGC7250. And don’t forget,

“Give it a go and let us know!”

Good luck and great viewing!
    Last edited by RolandosCY; September 29th, 2013 at 09:46 PM.
    The Darker the Better!
    -------------------------
    18" f4.5 Obsession Classic #1934
    10" f5 Skyatcher Dob
    152mm f5.9 Teleskop Service
    Takahashi FS128
    SkyWatcher 120 f5
    Takahashi FS102
    Takahashi FSQ106N
    SkyWatcher ED80 Pro
    SkyWatcher ED72 Evostar
    Televue Naglers and Ethos

Rolandos,

what a unique object. We, forum members Jimi L., Christian R. and I observed this in my 27" last nights. The SN was visible very easy, simply a "missing" star in the DSS. The knots were also easy to see. Unfortunately the Seeing was not good enough to resolve all knots, I also could pick up two points, like a close Double Star. I made a sketch and post it next days.

Christian remembered me, that we both saw the sketch two month ago in his 12" (sketch)
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

Here is the sketch

27", 586x, Seeing III, NELM 7m+

sketch with marked SN 2013dy
    Clear Skies, uwe
    Germany

27" f/4,2

Dear Uwe, I can see in your sketch two brightenings that look like stars on the north end of the galaxy. So I guess you managed to split the general brightening I saw into two starlike knots. This is what I have tried ever since realizing the complexity of this galaxy, but it seems that splitting that area might be beyond the reach of my 18". Great job!

Anyone else with observations of this system?
    Last edited by RolandosCY; October 11th, 2013 at 10:03 PM.
    The Darker the Better!
    -------------------------
    18" f4.5 Obsession Classic #1934
    10" f5 Skyatcher Dob
    152mm f5.9 Teleskop Service
    Takahashi FS128
    SkyWatcher 120 f5
    Takahashi FS102
    Takahashi FSQ106N
    SkyWatcher ED80 Pro
    SkyWatcher ED72 Evostar
    Televue Naglers and Ethos

Rolandos,

you are right, the knots were separated into two points, like a close double star. To separate it into more knots the seeing and the magnification was to low. Quite possible that the third knot is within reach but the seeing has to be perfect and the power 800x+. Difficult to say if the separation is possible in the 18". The problem could be the AP. You need at minimum 500x+ where the knots are perhaps to dark in the 18".
    Clear Skies, uwe
    Germany

27" f/4,2

Hi Rolandos

I observed this object last night and my results are similar to yours. The main core of the galaxy is distinct and more elongated than the galaxy itself. Also the detached part was distinct, with a somewhat triangular shape visible from time to time. I did not succeed in further splitting of this detached part (maximum useful magnification was around 500x).
    Reiner

22" and 14" Dobs on EQ platforms and Deep Sky Observing
    www.reinervogel.net