Thread: Observing G2 Globular of M31

Observing G2 Globular of M31

Came across this object in the nice object packed (if short) article in S&T that I finally got the chance to go through today. Was wondering if anyone has gotten to observe this object? I got the impression it was pretty faint but not just for large scopes. The article had it listed after G1 but at the same time mentioned large scopes and is two magnitudes fainter then G1 so that would put it much fainter then G1, which isn't exactly easy with a 10in scope under the skies that I have easy access to. I may have access to a 14in dob with tracking, so was wondering of this could be a possible target for it? Using the ole Google doesn't pull up much on the object.
    Preston
    8in Orion Skyquest XT
    10X50 Orion Resolux
    My blog updated once a month

Here are my notes with an 18-inch at 300x: visible as a very faint mag 15.5-15.8 "star (perhaps slightly easier than listed V mag of 15.8). Located just 2' SW of UGC 330 and 10' ESE of M31-G1.

It may be visible in a 14-inch (depending on your sky conditions), but there are dozens of brighter globulars in M31. Why not track some of these down? This page on Adventures in Deep Space has a link for an Excel spreadsheet of the 75 brightest globulars in M31. You'll see that G2 is way down the list (around 50). I also have notes on several dozen globulars and a few clusters/associations on the same page.

If you do take a look with a 14-inch, close to G2 are the galaxies UGC 330, 338 and 344 (the latter two pretty faint). Midway between UGC 338 and 344 is G4, which is actually a misclassified galaxy with a redshift of z = 0.19. Instead of being of member of the M31 system, it lies at a distance comparable to the Perseus galaxy cluster!
    Last edited by Steve Gottlieb; October 9th, 2013 at 04:52 AM.
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel

Preston,
    i observed G2 some years ago with my 15 inch Obsession under good (but not perfect) conditions in the austrian alps.
    G2 was visible, but not more than a very faint "star"; averted vision was necessary to detect it.
    As Steve said: there are some more - and a bit less challenging - GC in M31.
    Btw: Steve's List was the reason i got interested in extragalactic globular clusters some years ago.
    CS
    Marc

I'll ditto the comment that glob/cluster/association hunting in M31 is a great project for 16" and above scopes. I'm at 30 objects in that field although 3 are the UGC galaxies that have apparent position of being in the area of G1 and G2 (G1 and G2 are quite separated from the core of M31). Be sure to note the interesting 3-stellar appearance of G2 and two foreground stars and also note the nice 5-star arc of stars that lies more or less halfway between G1 and G2

Glob season in M31 is officially open these new moons and I plan on hunting down more this season as well.
    Let me roam the deep skies and I'll be content.
    Mark Johnston
    18" StarMaster f/3.7
    12" Meade LightBridge f/5

I glimpsed it 7 years ago with a 20" under conditions not as pristine as California or Arizona. My notes : "Used UGC-330 as a stepping stone. Quite faint."

Al
    15" f4.5 Obsession Classic
    4" f8.6 Televue 102

Wow thanks for the great replies. Steve I have checked out your website a few times and have it bookmarked.

I think I will file G2 for a later date and a larger scope and maybe some west Texas skies. Observing the features and objects of the M31 has been on my list for a while.
    Preston
    8in Orion Skyquest XT
    10X50 Orion Resolux
    My blog updated once a month